Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rchomskis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Vilnius, Lithuania
After a recent Win10 update I can no longer boot into Windows, which is installed with Bootcamp Assistant. I use MBP15" (mid-2018). Now when I try to boot into Windows I get the following error

Screenshot-2019-04-16-at-22-24-06.png

This is how my internal MacBook SSD disk looks like

Screenshot-2019-04-16-at-22-26-16.png

Tried the First Aid route via MacOS Disk Utility (while in normal boot and while in Recovery boot) - this is what I get

Screenshot-2019-04-16-at-22-44-49.png

Any way to repair partition map to be able to boot into Windows again? BTW, my Windows partition is still accessible in MacOS - I can see all the files there. I just cannot boot into Windows. Any suggestions/ideas/terminal commands would be much appreciated.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
When you press and hold option key on restart, does the boot camp partition appear in the list of bootable volumes? If no, most likely windows messed up the partition, happens often enough. A windows reinstall should help.

rchomskis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Vilnius, Lithuania
When you press and hold option key on restart, does the boot camp partition appear in the list of bootable volumes? If no, most likely windows messed up the partition, happens often enough. A windows reinstall should help.

no, the windows partition is not visible during the option key startup as it used to before the windows update :( I would really like to avoid reinstalling Windows, because I do not want to loose software/os licences and redo all the tedious application setups/configurations reinstalling windows would be my last resort of action. also, would reinstalling windows ensure the issue won't repeat itself after the mentioned update?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
no, the windows partition is not visible during the option key startup as it used to before the windows update :( I would really like to avoid reinstalling Windows, because I do not want to loose software/os licences and redo all the tedious application setups/configurations reinstalling windows would be my last resort of action.

With reinstalling I meant more the "fix installation" option that the windows installer provides. I don't think that you will have to delete and completely reinstall the entire system. Maybe someone here with Windows admin experience can give more hints.

also, would reinstalling windows ensure the issue won't repeat itself after the mentioned update?

Of course not. System update is always a risk, and MS has a long track record of making it "fun" for users in that regard :)

rchomskis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Vilnius, Lithuania
ok, I will try the "fix installation" approach as my last resort ... but I am a bit sceptical about it - shouldn't the fixing happen at the MacOS level, since its tool Bootcamp Assistant made the Windows partition bootable in the first place?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
ok, I will try the "fix installation" approach as my last resort ... but I am a bit sceptical about it - shouldn't the fixing happen at the MacOS level, since its tool Bootcamp Assistant made the Windows partition bootable in the first place?

All that Bootcamp does is create the partition and mount the installation medium... in the background its just a normal Windows install. From that perspective, macOS is not "responsible" and also cannot influence what the Windows install is doing with its partition. If your partition stopped being bootable after the Windows update, my money would be on the update process itself being somehow botched. Especially since its not an uncommon thing. If you google around, a lot of users seem to experience issues with the April Windows updates.

rchomskis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Vilnius, Lithuania
All that Bootcamp does is create the partition and mount the installation medium... in the background its just a normal Windows install. From that perspective, macOS is not "responsible" and also cannot influence what the Windows install is doing with its partition. If your partition stopped being bootable after the Windows update, my money would be on the update process itself being somehow botched. Especially since its not an uncommon thing. If you google around, a lot of users seem to experience issues with the April Windows updates.

Thankfully, I have a Windows 10 Repair Disk. Booted from it, tried all the "repair" and "uninstall recent updates" options - no go :(

IMG-4493.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.