Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I originally installed Win7 in legacy mode (via DVD), then software upgraded to 8.1 - then copied it (using Paragon Hard Disk Manager - excellent app for copying, fixing, settings partition stuff) to an SSD and re-serialised/activated it, then upgraded again to 10Pro.

Windows boots and runs without any issues. I just updated to whatever the latest update is, again without issue. However, I can't boot back to Mac since I updated to the latest version of Windows. Prior to the update I could boot to RecoveryHD if I clicked on "Restart in macOS…". But not now.

I have Paragon AFPS for Windows and Paragon HFS for Windows both installed and can access my APFS and HFS volumes without issue. I have the latest Bootcamp app installed.

I've spent several hours reading through posts to work out what I can do to restart back to Mac. I'm a bit confused now to be honest because I can't find one place that brings all the best advice and methods into one place in one post - it's spread about in multiple posts.

Does anyone have any ideas on a method I can use to easily boot back to Mac? Is BootChamp an option? Is the script that someone wrote an option? (I don't know how to use scripts so not sure how to even use it).

Just some more info about my Win10Pro setup:
My macOS and Mac apps are all on a separate SSD APFS in an Accelsior S SATA III PCIe adapter.
My Mac User account is on a Fusion Drive (NVMe in PCIe adapter, plus a 2TB spinner in direct connect bay)

Would these be interfering in one way?
Is the fact my macOS SSD is in an Accelsior S SATA III PCIe adapter the issue?

Is my method for booting back to Mac flawed: In Windows, in Bootcamp utility, do you just click on the drive you want to boot to then click on Restart, or do you have to click on Apply or Ok first before clicking on Restart?

Do I need to re-install any of the drivers again from the Bootcamp installer, or is the boot manager part all contained within the Bootcamp utility itself?

Hope I don't sound like I'm whining. Really appreciate someone making sense of this or posting me in the direct direction.

(and all because I want to play Northgard in Windows because the developer won't fix the problems that prevent it from running in macOS - hardly a mission critical reason, but it's nice when things just run like they should - I'm talking about booting into the right OS and being able to play Northgard)

Updated:
Ok, so I can't write to my APFS boot volume - the Paragon AFPS driver can't write to AFPS volumes that have snapshots enabled.

APFS for Windows - limitations 2-inked.jpg

APFS for Windows - limitations.png

So I assume that Windows can't write to the EFI partition on my AFPS formatted SSD, and that's why it can't bless that drive to be the startup.

I tried to change the boot drive to another HFS+ macOS drive, and that too won't boot - Windows keep starting up instead. Is this because Windows will only write to the EFI partition on my Windows SSD, and not to the EFI partition on the drive I want to boot up from?

Last edited:

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
It is unclear that what window update will do to the system. I do not have a empty dvd to burn. So I just use another PC to install legacy mode WIN10 for me, then move the SSD to Mac Pro.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
So I assume that Windows can't write to the EFI partition on my AFPS formatted SSD, and that's why it can't bless that drive to be the startup
Windows 10 bootcamp manager can boot to APFS. You probably have a broken installation of the bootcamp manager. Have you tried the Microsoft uninstaller mentioned earlier here?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Yes, and just downloaded the latest version, so I then uninstalled BootCamp using the utility, shut down, reset PRAM, booted into macOS, set Win10 as startup drive, booted into Win10, reinstalled the latest version of BootCamp again, restarted, it boots into Win10, set macOS as boot drive, restarted ... boots back into Win10 again, set macOS as boot drive again, shut down, and it boots back into Win10 yet again. Hmmm. Doesn't like me!

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I’m not even a big user of Windows/BootCamp, but since I track SUS everyday, I started to notice the updates and nobody talking about them - so, this is the motive of this thread.

Why posting problems here and not on the BootCamp Thread where everyone is looking? If you have problems with BootCamp/Windows, go to there to get help: How to: Boot Camp without a Boot Screen

Last edited:
Reactions: JedNZ and howiest

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
The first iMacPro1,1 Bootcamp package is 1.13 GB and the second 522 MB.
Considering the size difference, are they designed to be installed in sequence?

And safe to install on a MacPro5,1?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
The first iMacPro1,1 Bootcamp package is 1.13 GB and the second 522 MB.
Considering the size difference, are they designed to be installed in sequence?
The second is an update for the first/bigger one.

And safe to install on a MacPro5,1?
We have been doing it for some time, no problems.[/QUOTE]

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
I used this method on my 2017 MacBook Pro, as it oddly does not have native BootCamp APFS support, while the 2018 (MacBookPro15,1) model has. However just like the iMacPro version the task menu quick boot option is gone.

EDIT:
This way I get BootCamp 6.1.7071.

Last edited:

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I downloaded BootCamp 6.1.7483 for iMacPro1,1 today using Brigadier - the download weighs in at 921MB (in Win) and 922.2MB when copied to my macOS drive, and… it fixed my problems!! - I can finally boot back from Win10 to macOS from the startup drive control panel (in Win10).

Reactions: crjackson2134

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Anyone having Cinema Display overlay when changing brightness on Apple Cinema HD Display on Win8/8.1/10?

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Only BootCamp 6.0 shows tray icon, but won't show APFS drives :(

How about my Cinema HD Display overlay? Why it worked under Windows 7 and doesn't work under 8.1? Driver is the same.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Gave it a go with Brigadier and the iMacPro1,1 package, but lost the Apple Keyboard volume keys functionality after installing Bootcamp\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp.msi. Prior to installing I had to force uninstall the previous BootCamp Services with Microsoft's uninstall utility as the uninstall option was absent in the Programs control panel. Luckily the restore point I created prior to the install got everything working again.

I use one of these oldschool white Apple Pro Keyboards:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/images/D/apple-keyboard.jpg

* Brigadier downloaded only the half-GB sized iMacPro1,1 package, if that matters.

Last edited:

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
I got Apple Cinema HD Display overlay working under Windows 8.1 in legacy mode by installing BootCamp for iMac 17,1. Driver is the same as for Windows 7. It doesn't work in UEFI mode and I don't know why.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Apple updated iMac Pro BootCamp today, links on the first post table. Update improves compatibility of Apple trackpads, keyboards and mice with Windows 10.
Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 22.25.04.png

Last edited:

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Can you tell me how to remove Mac HAL service? It's failing on boot under WIndows 8.1 and I cannot find on the list.

I probably need to use something like:

sc delete "Mac HAL", but it doesn't work.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
A new version of BootCamp was released sometime back for the iMacPro1,1. Those using Windows 10 might want to update their BC install.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
A new version of BootCamp was released sometime back for the iMacPro1,1. Those using Windows 10 might want to update their BC install.
Just checked, first post is correct, no updates besides those, 041-40112 is the current version for iMac Pro.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I reinstalled Windows 10 recently and have version 041-88815

View attachment 870843
Open the distribution file, it's the April update that was resigned with the certificate up to 2029. 041-40112 is the most recent one.

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 13.20.49.png

When Apple have to re-sign the packages with new certificates, you have to confirm the package ESD version to be sure that is really a new update. Brigadier seems to do not make this check.

Last edited:
Reactions: w1z

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Open the distribution file, it's the April update that was resigned with the certificate up to 2029. 041-88815 is the most recent one.

When Apple have to re-sign the packages with new certificates, you have to confirm the package ESD version to be sure that is really a new update. Brigadier seems to do not make this check.

Good to know, thanks. I spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out why brigadier was downloading this latest version when you had listed 041-40112 as the latest.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I just saw that I copied the wrong product-ID, the most recent one is 041-40112, from July. Corrected that in the previous post.

Apple have to re-sign all previous SUS packages, since the previously used certificate expires this month. Every day hundreds of old packages are being re-signed and getting new product-IDs. I lost count of the number of distribution files I read this week…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.