Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Halloween 2014- I've got Windows 7 Running on Bootcamp on my MBP, see signature. I've upgraded to 10.9 with an existing Bootcamp partition and no issues for that update. I'm considering upgrading to Yosemite in the near future after the first major update for it comes out.

Any reason I should not? Any impact on my Bootcamp partition and Windows functionality? Looking for a heads up. Thanks!

kerrigan93

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
If your HDD is partitioned the motherboard should be able to use either partition despite what the other has stored on it. Even if Yosemite were to corrupt your osx partition the windows partition should still be able to be accessed. Unless Yosemite were to ruin that partition I would say the osx partition should remain untouched

This being said with no experience using Yosemite I have decided to keep mavericks in favor of not learning new software for no good reasom

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
It'll run fine, yosemite don't seem to cause issues with other partitions or OS's.

However a word of caution if you want to do anything on the other partition from either OS. DO NOT install paragon HFS+ or macdrive to allow write access. Both programs seem to have caused me failures on both mac and windows after a few boots.

Remember to backup your work using Time Machine and try to backup windows with something as time machine doesn't do the windows side. I was backed up but it's still a day restoring.

Stick to the OS you are working on and you'll be ok but start messing with anything cross platform and you're in for real trouble.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm thinking about upgrading my MBP (sig) to El Capitan and wonder if it will adversely effect my Bootcamp/W7 install? Anyone done this, anyone know? Thanks!

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
And even if Windows for will be released for Apple Silicon, everyone's game library still consists of x86 code. Apple Silicon is fast and will be faster in the future. But when is it fast enough to emulate your x86 games under Windows for AS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.