Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MFaklis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2023
San Francisco
I have a Mac Pro A1481 (Garbage Can) with 8 XEON Cores and 64gb RAM. It has MacOS Ventura, and I have VMWare and VirtualBox virtual machines. I installed BootCamp running Windows 10 Pro 22H2. I attempted to run an Hyper-V virtual machine. When I attempt to start the Hyper-V VM, it fails to start stating there is no hypervisor. The "HV Host Service" will not start due to the dependency of "Hypervisor/Virtual Machine Support Driver". I found some postings on Google telling me that Virtualization is not enabled in the firmware.
Can this be true, considering when I boot MacOS I can run VMWare and VirtualBox VMs?
I verified that the CPU is able to run virtual machiines, but I don't know how to verify it's enabled?
Please let me know if I miss-read the situation, or if there's a way to correct this problem.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
First thing, test with Monterey and not Ventura. Ventura is running over a VM already, that's the way that OCLP got Ventura working with a MacPro6,1, nested virtualization open a whole new layer of problems.

Second, there is a known feature with BootCamp, some people call it a bug, that when you cold boot/direct boot Windows selecting it via the BootPicker, Hyper-V virtualisation doesn't work - you have to first boot macOS and then hot boot into Windows, doing that enable the CSM/BIOS layer and then Hyper-V works.

Se more details on the second answer of the stack exchange thread below:

Also this Apple Communities thread for a better workaround via bless with --legacydrivehint:

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
If you are able to install RefindPlus, setting the enable_and_lock_vmx config option *should* activate virtualisation on units with Post-Nehalem CPUs such as the "Litter Bin" Mac.

I don't run that unit so have not tested myself and "MyBootMgr", for automating installation, is not supported on Ventura. Will therefore need to be set up manually. This may be best using the ESP on a USB; as while typically slow, it allows easy disconnection if needed.

rEFInd has the same config option (original source of the feature) and might be easier to do a test install of. The rEFInd efi file can be replaced with one from RefindPlus after installation. OpenCore, which has the same feature (also ported from rEFInd but given a different name) cannot be used in your case as you have a Legacy Windows instance.

NB: The enable_and_lock_vmx option *should not* be set on units with Pre-Westmere CPUs

Last edited:
Reactions: MFaklis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.