Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rico Muerte

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just wondering if I can/or how to use boot camp on my 2012 5,1 with a non Apple bios Sapphire RX480?

Can it be done with startup disk mode? In other words, boot in to Mac OS as usual, then select the Windows startup disk to restart in?

Id rather not go throught the process or bios flashing the RX480 or using open core if I can avoid it...

Cheers

Last edited:

dvbcheck

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2014
Germany

This will guide you through the Windows 10 Install Process via Virtualbox.
With Opencore you will have a boot picker.

Situationen

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2021
Sweden
Just wondering if I can/or how to use boot camp on my 2012 5,1 with a non Apple bios Sapphire RX480?

Can it be done with startup disk mode? In other words, boot in to Mac OS as usual, then select the Windows startup disk to restart in?

Id rather not go throught the process or bios flashing the RX480 or using open core if I can avoid it...

Cheers
That is how I use my computer with a RX 580, I only use Open Core for installing and/or updating non-supported OSes, currently running Big Sur. Unfortunately Big Sur doesn't allow me to boot straight into Windows, need to reboot to my backup Mojave and then to Windows, oh well.

Never had any problems in Mojave or Catalina! Do remember, install Windows not with EFI but as legacy boot if you plan to run without OpenCore, or else it can corrupt your NVRAM. I saw that this is already mentioned in KeesMacPros link above, great!

Reactions: KeesMacPro

Rico Muerte

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2020
Sydney, Australia
...Do remember, install Windows not with EFI but as legacy boot if you plan to run without OpenCore, or else it can corrupt your NVRAM. I saw that this is already mentioned in KeesMacPros link above, great!
No idea how to do that - is that an option during the bootcamp setup process?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
No idea how to do that - is that an option during the bootcamp setup process?
Quote from the link in post #3:

Step 2: Create a bootable Windows 10 DVD disk

Warning: DO NOT install Windows from a USB flash drive. It has been discovered that Windows when installed in EFI mode is corrupting the Mac Pro’s firmware by signing it with multiple Secure Boot (X.509) certificates. Also, you wouldn’t be able to boot into Windows after selecting its drive as bootable in macOS Preferences → Startup disk. Therefore Windows should only be installed in Legacy BIOS mode from an optical drive.

This is the recommended and safe procedure if you prefer not to install OpenCore.

Reactions: Rico Muerte
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.