Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbop@mac.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I have an Imac G5. Is this compatible with bootcamp? Is it easy to install What is the performance of Windows like?

The main reason I want to insatll Windows is to use MSN Messenger webcam facilities. Does anybody know of any way to link up with Windows users via a webcam without using windows applications via bootcamp?

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
No, the G5 is a Power PC CPU and is incapable of running Boot Camp. You need a Mac with an Intel CPU.

If you do want to run Windows, grab a copy of Virtual PC. Or buy a new Mac.

bigbop@mac.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Cheers. Will check out aMSN. n the meantime does anybody else know of any way to get webcam connectivity with Windows users?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
bigbop@mac.com said:
Cheers. Will check out aMSN. n the meantime does anybody else know of any way to get webcam connectivity with Windows users?

aMSN.

bigbop@mac.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Only aMSN? It doesn't support auio yet does it. Just istalled and can see my friends webcam fine. Although image quality faded compared to real MSN Still not bad.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
As far as aMSN is concerned, when the "grabber" window comes up, you can adjust settings to optimize the webcam. :)

Mercury Messenger is another similar option. For reasons I don't particularly understand, I have one friend with whom I can message with Mercury but not

Mercury is working on videoconferencing, but AFAIK that feature is very, very limited (i.e. useless) at present and may not be in the mac version yet.

There has been some suggestion that the new Yahoo Messenger when it comes out of beta will offer some kind of webcam interoperability with Windows Live Messenger, but I haven't seen an official statement that this is the case.

bigbop@mac.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Thanks. So if I optimise the webcam will this allow me to use audio?

Another question.... Are there any recomended webcams for the Mac other than Isight?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
bigbop@mac.com said:
Thanks. So if I optimise the webcam will this allow me to use audio?

Another question.... Are there any recomended webcams for the Mac other than Isight?

First question -- no. You mentioned that the image was faded. I was responding to that. Optimization is for light level, gain, saturation, etc.

Second question -- a handful of people use Logitech ones. There have been at least a half dozen topics on this in the past month so can you please search? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.