Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rozikowsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2017
Hey guys,

I've just been wondering if there's any possibility to boot MacOS from an external SSD and installing Windows 10 on an internal HDD?

I have an iMac late 2013 with internal 1TB HDD. I bought an external 240GB SSD from which I am booting MacOS atm. Everything works fine but now I have a 1TB data grave which seems to be a little useless.

As I could use Windows 10 for some programs which are not available for MacOS I've been asking myself if there's a way (doesn't have to be easy) to install Windows on my internal HDD. First tries with bootcamp weren't successful but as there's nearly always a way maybe one of you can help me.

//I don't plan to buy any (expensive) software for this though

Thanks in advance.

Robert

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yep, booting macOS externally shouldn't be an issue. Plug in your external drive and hold CMD+R on startup. This will boot into macOS Utilities. Format the external drive through Disk Utility, then select 'Reinstall macOS' and set it to your external drive.

Macs couldn't be easier for this sort of thing; sky's the limit when it comes to different methods of OS install.

Installing Windows on the internal drive may just be a case of booting into a Windows USB installer, then wipe the internal drive. If you have a W10 USB install disk, plug it in and hold Alt on startup. Boot into that and it should go through the install without too many hiccups.

Feel free to quote this if there's anything I can clarify as I appreciate my instructions are a little ambiguous.

Rozikowsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2017
Yep, booting macOS externally shouldn't be an issue. Plug in your external drive and hold CMD+R on startup. This will boot into macOS Utilities. Format the external drive through Disk Utility, then select 'Reinstall macOS' and set it to your external drive.

That's what I already did. Works fine.

Installing Windows on the internal drive may just be a case of booting into a Windows USB installer, then wipe the internal drive. If you have a W10 USB install disk, plug it in and hold Alt on startup. Boot into that and it should go through the install without too many hiccups.

That's basically what I tried. I'm using a Win10 USB installer as I have no disk but it's just not working without those "hiccups". I'll try another time and let you know the exact problem was (its like a month ago I tried now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.