Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean_Pail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2022
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 that was running Mojave, and am having a boot problem. When I turn the computer on, I get the Mac logo, the progress bar makes it a third of the way across the screen, and then shuts off.

I've tried a few things to fix this so far, but nothing's working so far. I can get to Recovery mode and Target Disk mode. Safe mode won't work. I can access the internal SSD (a Samsung 970 EVO 2TB) through target mode, and when booting from an external hard drive, so have been able to copy pretty much all my files (couldn't figure out how to get my saved passwords or bookmarks in my browsers over, which would be nice but not the end of the world if they're lost...still, if anybody's got any tips, would appreciate it).

Here's what I've tried so far.

1. Internet recovery

When I try internet recovery, I get error -5101F.

2. Reinstalling the OS in Recovery Mode

When I try to reinstall the OS, I get a message saying "This disk is locked."

IMG_6209.JPG

3. Using Disk Utility in Recovery Mode

I've tried First Aid on all three devices Disk Utility shows me. When I run it on the first device, the physical disk, I get a message that reads:

First Aid found corruption that needs to be repaired. To repair the startup volume, run First Aid from recovery. Click Done to continue.​

When I ask the dialogue box to show details, I get:

Checking prerequisites​
Checking the partition list​
Checking the partition map size​
Checking for an EFI system partition​
Checking the EFI system partition's size​
Checking the EFI system partition's file system​
Checking the EFI system partition's folder content​
Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting​
Operation successful.​

IMG_6207.JPG

When I run First Aid on the next device down, an APFS container, I get:

First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Click Done to continue.​

And then the details say:

Running First Aid on "Container disk2"​
Repairing storage system​
Performing fsck_apfs -y -x/dev/disk2s1​
error: device /dev/disk2s1 failed to open with error: Permission denied.​
File system check exit code is 66.​
Restoring the original state found as unmounted.​
File system verify or repair failed.​
Operation failed...​

IMG_6205.JPG

And then on the final one, another APFS volume, I get:

First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Click Done to continue.​

The details say:

Repairing file system.​
Volume is already unmounted.​
Performing fsck_apfs -y -x /dev/rdisk2s1​
error: device /dev/rdisk2 failed to open with error: Permission denied.​
File system check exit code is 66.​
Restoring the original state found as unmounted.​
File system verify or repair failed.​
Operation failed...​

IMG_6211.JPG

4. Erasing the disk in Disk Utility

I'd rather not erase the disk, but if I have to, I have to. I tried it, and got an error there as well:

Erasing"Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2 TB Media" (disk1) and creating​
Unmounting disk​
Creating the partition map​
Couldn't open device​
Operation failed...​

IMG_6210.JPG

5. The Terminal

I've also tried using diskutil verifydisk on the terminal, and get the same message as above, “Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting.”

I wasn't able to copy or delete any files using the terminal; I kept getting a read only error when trying to delete and a permissions error when trying to copy, although FileVault is off. I also kept getting a message that sudo wasn't a recognized command.

That's about it.

Any thoughts on what might be causing those First Aid errors? Or on what the boot issue might be? And any thoughts on how to fix the partition map? Really, the main question is, any thoughts on how to get this thing operational again.

Thanks!

SP

Attachments

• IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    549.1 KB · Views: 73

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Since you are willing to erase the disk, I suggest booting with a High Sierra USB installer and using HS's DU to erase the disk. I have a mid-2014 13" Pro that was running Catalina. In order to go back to Mojave, I had to erase via HD.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I have a MacBook Pro 2015 that was running Mojave, and am having a boot problem. When I turn the computer on, I get the Mac logo, the progress bar makes it a third of the way across the screen, and then shuts off.
Hi there.
Did you run the diagnostics?
Do you have the original internal disk?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As mentioned above...

Is the internal SSD a "factory original" Apple SSD, or is it a replacement?

If it's a replacement, do you still have the ORIGINAL drive?

If it's a replacement drive, I'm thinking... remove the replacement, put the factory drive back in, and see if you can get things going again that way...

Sean_Pail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2022
Thanks all.

It's a replacement I installed; I do still have the Apple SSD, and it does run (that's what I was able to boot with from a USB 3 case). I was trying to avoid opening the laptop up, but will give that try later on today.

I'll try what you suggested Audit13 first.

Sean_Pail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2022
I'm waiting for the tools to arrive to open up the Mac; in the meantime, I've been trying to erase the drive that's in there.

With Erase not working in Disk Utility, I've been trying to erase in the terminal. I keep getting Error: -69877: Couldn't open device

Anyone know a way around that? Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it was me, I'd put the factory-original drive back in, and just leave it that way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.