Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevmacosx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Republic of Ireland
At home there is no problem with files staying in their place on the desktop but at work after each boot up they are are rearranged.

I know it's someting simple that I have not done but what is it?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Perhaps at home you have your Finder preferences set to "Keep arranged by:" something, and at work you don't. I don't know why a rearranging would be specific to booting, unless it is determined by mount time or something on external drives.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Studawg7 said:
I know my HD icon moves everytime I reboot. Its odd, always wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.
Those are created every time a volume is loaded.

Restarting reloads the volume on restart/log in.

You may be able to get around it by creating your own alias to the drive and setting the prefs to only show removable volumes on the desktop.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Following the ideas of and .
  • From the desktop/FINDER
    *Arrange Current Desktop
    FINDER -> VIEW -> Arrange -> Size or Name
    *Arrange For Current Destop, Active Changes, and Next Boot
    FINDER -> VIEW -> Show View Options [Command]+[J]
    Snap to Grid ? Your choice- Me No
    Show Icon Preview?
    Keep arranged by? Select if you want- this can change the position of icons.​

If you using a networked drive or removable drive, the local host stores the icon location, but the icon image (similar to a stack of PNGs) is stored on the host media. The same holds true for individual files, applications, etc... The exception to this rule are the default icons/bezels that are part of the OS. (Oh and locked media.) Some are easy to change , and others require some pay/shareware or access to root to "permanently" change them. Edit system resources and change permissions at your own risk.

I have no idea why I added this last bit, but it here if you want to change look of your media icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.