Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rageworks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Hello,

I recently purchased an external SSD so I can install Boot Camp on it and play my Windows games. I can't install Boot Camp on my Macbook because there is not enough space. I've seen some guides on how to do this and thought it should be a smooth sail, oh boy was I wrong...

I followed 9to5mac.com's guide and went great until I got to the final part, selecting a Startup Disk and booting Windows. Mac didn't see my external drive as a bootable drive. I used command + R to bypass external storage device protection and there's still no joy. SSD doesn't show up on Startup Disk section. At this point, I gave up.

It looks like it used to be easier to do this however I'm desperate at the moment because there's no up-to-date source on doing this, so I'm back to square one.

If anyone has an up-to-date guide on how to go about this process, I'd be very happy. Thanks in advance.

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
I tried it some time ago and it didn't work either. Found out that Windows To Go has been discontinued, maybe that is why it doesn't work.

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
Guys DM me, ive mastered this, I got a full 2000Mbps NVME external working with windows 10, its kinda complex but after spending the past 18 hours ive mastered the method.

Ive got some ultra lightweight custom ISOs you can use too, or link you to the lightweight enterprise ones.

It does work, 100% but you need a couple things, A usb mouse is mandatory for install.
Use my pain and suffering to make this easier, its simple if you follow what I tell you.

I can give you my iMessage for help on the go while you do it.
You also need some software, but I can again hook you up with it and it does the same thing as Windows to go but its made for MacBooks dual booting.

maxphotos1

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2020
Italy
Guys DM me, ive mastered this, I got a full 2000Mbps NVME external working with windows 10, its kinda complex but after spending the past 18 hours ive mastered the method.

Ive got some ultra lightweight custom ISOs you can use too, or link you to the lightweight enterprise ones.

It does work, 100% but you need a couple things, A usb mouse is mandatory for install.
Use my pain and suffering to make this easier, its simple if you follow what I tell you.

I can give you my iMessage for help on the go while you do it.
You also need some software, but I can again hook you up with it and it does the same thing as Windows to go but its made for MacBooks dual booting.

I'm happy to hear that you were able to do that !
Can you please share with us how you did it and which tools you used ?

Thanks
Max

tootyful

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
I was able to install windows onto the external ssd. However, when it boots up into windows, I'm unable to install the windowsupport drivers from the usb thumbdrive as it does not seem to recognise my thumbdrive. Can anyone help please? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.