Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Today my Borderlands 3 game (Epic) fails to start when trying to start a new game. If I 'continue' the last game starts up, but if I change to 'new game' it simply disappears when I click on 'start game'. Did the 'verify' step, but no change.

Any ideas?

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
So, tried deleting and reinstalling the game. No joy. Still just ends when I 'start game' after selecting new game. Runs OK (well, a bit less smoothly) with Parallels.... Annoying.

So, is there any support for Borderlands 3? I don't see a support option on the game website....

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Today my Borderlands 3 game (Epic) fails to start when trying to start a new game. If I 'continue' the last game starts up, but if I change to 'new game' it simply disappears when I click on 'start game'. Did the 'verify' step, but no change.

Any ideas?

Do you own the game on Steam or the Cursed Fortnite Launcher?

Reactions: Irishman

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
😂 he means the Epic store!

Context: I call the Epic Game Store the Cursed Fortnite Launcher for many, many reasons...

...okay, it's mostly because of Fortnite and Tim Sweeney, but I have legitimate complaints too.

• Mac support is practically nonexistent as there's less than 20 total Mac compatible games on the launcher compared to Steam and even GOG.
  • There's no Linux support which is a problem since I use a Steam Deck a lot
  • Security on the launcher is nonexistent and I'm scared to have my credit card number even saved on it. I've had my EGS account compromised TWICE despite having 2FA and a strong password generated.
  • Controller support is awful on EGS. Xbox controllers and Dualshock only. The Dualsense is supported, but not the Dualsense's features such as it's rumble and adaptive triggers, or even the gyros for motion controls. Steam is the only platform that supports those. Hell Steam even gives you notifications when a new firmware update for your Dualsense is available. Nintendo controllers are also not supported on EGS while on Steam they are, even the damn Joycons.
  • There's so many features missing from EGS that are bogstandard on Steam for years. Achievements? Nope. VR? Also nope. Customizable user profiles? Nada. Game forums? Nope. Easily accessible mod support? AHAHAHAHA no. User made game guides? Nuh-uh! User reviews? PFFFT!
I can go on and on and on but I think I made my point. The launcher is horrible. It's slow, clunky, barebones for years, and just an awful experience to buy software and even use. Not even the free games are worth it as playing games through EGS is just a worse experience than compared to Steam. The fact Borderlands 3's Mac version is only available on EGS is mindboggling especially considering Epic has essentially abandoned macOS for their launcher while the Mac userbase on Steam has only grown with the advent of Apple Silicon.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
What do you mean? The launcher is on par with the Windows version 15.12.

Because the launcher contains the Unreal Engine devtools. They're maintaining the launcher but there haven't been any Mac releases as of late on the launcher and there's hardly any Mac games on it at all, and ever since Sweeney's "Project Liberty" it's been like this. There's not much reason to even have the launcher installed anymore, not unless Epic Games gets their developer access back and can update the Mac version of Fortnite again.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
As the Mac game was failing, I fired up Parallels and it worked fine there. After a few days of 'cloud synching' on the Windows version in Parallels, the next time I tried starting up the Mac version it asked if I wanted to synch the 'newer' version which was from the Windows environment. When I did that it let me continue the game I was playing in Parallels (native Mac is a bit smoother than running the Win version in Parallels). Not sure if the 'new game' problem still exists, won't try that again until I have run through the current game.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Because the launcher contains the Unreal Engine devtools. They're maintaining the launcher but there haven't been any Mac releases as of late on the launcher and there's hardly any Mac games on it at all, and ever since Sweeney's "Project Liberty" it's been like this. There's not much reason to even have the launcher installed anymore, not unless Epic Games gets their developer access back and can update the Mac version of Fortnite again.

Still not sure what you're talking about. macOS has the latest launcher 15.2 which is the same for Windows with the same features. The launcher is just a browser like Steam client. Unreal Engine for macOS is also the latest version 5.2 like Windows. They're even working on 5.3 with Beta support for Nanite on Apple Silicon on M2. Sure, UE 5 for Mac doesn't support all the in-game features but that has nothing to do with the lack of Mac versions of games in Epic store. That's a decision made by the game publisher probably due to low sales of Mac games in Epic game store and thanks to Steam's popularity. You can still find many Mac games on Epic, currently 480, some bundles costing about $350.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.