Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
So these guys were one of many that opened at 5pm THANKSGIVING NIGHT. I'll have a delayed dinner w/ family on Sunday so last night was dull. Figured I'd be one of "those people" (T'Giving shoppers) and go out and see what I could find. I NEVER shopped on Thanksgiving, always said I wouldn't...I gave in.

Best Buy...forget it, the line went around the store. I left. Target, nope..same long insane lines. GameStop..no crowd at all, picked up Madden 18 for 19 bucks after trading in 3 older games.

THEN..you have Five & Below. WOW...the "doorbusters" at this place were ...ummm?
All items, $5 or less! :eek::confused: I stopped in, no special deals like 2 for $5..nothing at all that would entice people to even stop in here, except me not knowing nothing was on sale, any deals.

Other than the corporate greed, there was no reason for them to be open T'Giving. And yes, the employees were miserable, can't say I blame them.

But I did pick up a $5 no name BT keyboard that actually looks like a Mac keyboard. (Keyword "looks," I admit it feels cheap..light plastic) but it works perfectly with my iPad Pro.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Yeah - I have a policy that is don't buy cheaply made **** - especially from stores like 5 below and even more so on Thanksgiving day.

I stopped in there just once before a few years ago and picked up one of those portable power banks, which still works. But 99% of the stuff there is cheap junk. I agree.

Yeah, the keyboard was a silly impulse buy. I figured if it didn't work..I will return no matter how inexpensive is.

Reactions: smallcoffee

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
MAYBE, just MAYBE if NO ONE stopped there even to browse after thanks giving then they MIGHT consider letting the employees stay home on that day..................
personally thanksgiving to ME is no different from St Pattys or 5 de mayo, basically just another day.
I thought cinco de mayo was like Christmas for your people. And St Pattys day? You're the perfect height to dress up like a leprechaun.

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for.

Reactions: MacNut and jkcerda

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Five Below is a great place to get close-out videogames for us Collectors, especially those that one the obscure titles and can get them NIB for $5 instead of the $10-$20 the retailers want.

Also great for books that B&N sells for $10-$20 but the extra warehouse stock goes here for $5... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.