Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
has anyone had the BOSE quiet comfort 2 or 3?
i tried it on in apple store, the noise cancelling is quite interesting... i was not able to try the sony version of the noise cancelling headphones

can someone who had one or both of them give me some comment on how those perform? battery life?

what's the difference between 2 and 3?

(please don't just call bose rip off unless you have both the BOSE and some other brand to compare)

Thanks!

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
The difference is over the ear (completely covered) vs. sitting on the ear. It really comes down to what is more comfortable for you.

I bought a pair of JVC noise canceling headphones, and I can tell you they were BAD compared to the bose. Weird buzzing with noise canceling on or off. Hollow sounding.

I recomend taking a look on some of the refurb and overstock sites, even ebay, as you can get a pretty good deal on the bose.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
QC-2

Sound quality is awesome. I have some Sony and Kenwood "studio" headphones, and there isn't any comparison. I run the EQ flat on iPod. Battery life is very good. I was using them fairly regularly and it lasted months.

My brother-in-law has a QC-3 and is very happy with it. I tried the QC-3 at the Apple Store and was impressed with the noise cancelling, considering it doesn't have much ear isolation (on ear, vs over ear). Sound quality seem close to the QC-2, but was hard to tell without listening to same source.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
but you wouldn't say, because QC-2 was $50 cheaper, it is WORSE than QC-3?

yeah, the only diff i can tell is that QC-2 cover ear and QC-3 over year... personally i prefer cover year (but i guess the fact QC3 can collapse is cool).. but sound quality wise they aren't that different if at all?

and they ARE better than Sony's and other brands' noise cancelling?

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Bearbo,

The difference in the QC2's vs the QC3's as far as I know is that the QC3's are "on ear" compared to the "over ear" of the QC2's. The only other difference I know about is that the QC3's have a li-ion battery compared to the QC2's triple a batteries which have to be replaced.

In the long run it is personal feel on which one is considered "better". I believe the sound quality is the same but some people prefer the "over the ear" better to the "on the ear".

I prefer the li-ion battery so that I won't have to use a new AAA battery every 20-25 hours of listening but the cost is neglagible at best and I still chose the QC2's even though you have to replace the battery. I believe construction and audio quality is the same though. It is just that the QC3's just came out and they are smaller because they go "on the ear". I just bought the QC2's on Macrumors used and I love them.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.