Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OKComputer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
So i recently splurged and spent 300 dollars on headphones so i figured id start this thread to convince you all im not crazy for spending that much! I bought them at the apple store and they came in this nice box with a velvet pouch. I was going on a trip the next day and im sure you all know how loud those NW DC-9s can be. Anyway, I put them on and it was like the world had gone completely silent. Not only that, the sound quality is awesome. It was like my Mp3s had become high def recordings all of the sudden. The bass is just awesome. So if you want one pair of headphones for the rest of your life, go buy them.

pros, noise cancelation, sound quality, comfortable fit
cons, price

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I am a pilot and we use bose noise cancelling headphones in the cockpit, I love them, of course for the cockpit they cost a cool grand (yes $1000.00).

If you travel even a moderate amount, I think you made a wise investment. I was an audiophile 20 years ago, and you would be amazed at how many people would spend thousands on equipment and nothing on the speakers! :eek: It should be the exact opposite, spend the money on the speakers and then the equipment (iPods excluded).

Enjoy, good choice.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I think you made an excellent choice. Of all the premium speakers (harmon/kardon, etc), Bose is the best. I've used them a couple of times, and my bother has a pair that he uses on flights. The sound is amazing.

Just don't stick them in the seat back in front of you and forget them! Unclaimed Baggage Center usually has a lot of them for sale (and a lot of iPods too :eek:...and they always say "For Mac Computers", and never mention you can use them with a PC).

OKComputer said:
So i recently splurged and spent 300 dollars on headphones so i figured id start this thread to convince you all im not crazy for spending that much! I bought them at the apple store and they came in this nice box with a velvet pouch. I was going on a trip the next day and im sure you all know how loud those NW DC-9s can be. Anyway, I put them on and it was like the world had gone completely silent. Not only that, the sound quality is awesome. It was like my Mp3s had become high def recordings all of the sudden. The bass is just awesome. So if you want one pair of headphones for the rest of your life, go buy them.

cons, price

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
My problem with Bose in general is their pricing; I think you're paying a lot for the name. I have a 1st gen set of the Bose headphones, and I like them, but I still think they were over priced for what they are.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I would love to get these, but I just can't justify paying $300 for them... at least not yet ;)
I have the inexpensive ones from Sony, which aren't that bad, but are nowhere near the Bose in quality.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
OKComputer said:
I was going on a trip the next day and im sure you all know how loud those NW DC-9s can be. Anyway, I put them on and it was like the world had gone completely silent.
cons, price

You summed it up pretty well. I have the first series (the gold ones)and those things are freakin amazing. Everyone who has try them on a plane will never go back to regualr headphones.

OKComputer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
i travel quite a bit so yea, these headphones were worth it. If you refuse to shell out the cash then Bose also makes the triport headphones for 150 which are pretty decent as well. personally i was tired of shelling out 50 bucks every year when my sony headphones broke, wore out etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.