Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saisrujan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Did anyone try this out?

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/home_entertainment/headphones_headsets/headsets/mobile_oe/index.jsp

env_mobileoe_inuse.jpg

It says "Omnidirectional, inline microphone For clearer mobile phone communications and easy switching between music and calls."

What do they mean by "easy switching between music and calls"? Do they mean a button to receive/hang-up?

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
Did anyone try this out?

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/home_entertainment/headphones_headsets/headsets/mobile_oe/index.jsp

env_mobileoe_inuse.jpg

It says "Omnidirectional, inline microphone For clearer mobile phone communications and easy switching between music and calls."

What do they mean by "easy switching between music and calls"? Do they mean a button to receive/hang-up?

Wow, those look pretty sweet. I have a friend who has the regular ones without the mic, and they sound awesome.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I have a pair of the Bose Triport OE on-ear headphones and I really like them. Well built and sound great.

I have the QC3's (or QC2's, i always forget, they fit on the ear, not around them), and the sound is wonderful. I bought the Seidio adapter with the mic, it's a decent setup, but doean't make much sense, since the mic doesn't slide up on the wire, so the mic stays all the way down near the headphone jack, kinda useless except to listen the iPhone's iPod. I've gone out and purchased the V-Moda Vibe Duo's with the mic and button, but I'm sure the Bose one's will blow those away !!

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I own a pair of these w/o the inline mic . I've been through at least a dozen other models/mfg's prior to these and this is hands down the best pair of headphones I've owned. Only thing I regret about my purchase is not owning the pair you just pointed out with the inline mic.

....i'm starting to sound like a Bose salesman on these boards :eek: ...

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I have the QC3's (or QC2's, i always forget, they fit on the ear, not around them), and the sound is wonderful. I bought the Seidio adapter with the mic, it's a decent setup, but doean't make much sense, since the mic doesn't slide up on the wire, so the mic stays all the way down near the headphone jack, kinda useless except to listen the iPhone's iPod. I've gone out and purchased the V-Moda Vibe Duo's with the mic and button, but I'm sure the Bose one's will blow those away !!

I'll tell you what, the best $39 I ever spent was on the Bose multi connect mic adapter for the iPhone. It doesn't have the button but who cares when the phone will always be an arm length away.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
wow the people over on head-fi.org would have your head for this! ;)

going for sound quality, these may not be your best bet. having personally owned them, they were not my cup of tea, and what is worse - they felt like i had a giant clamp on my head whenever they were on.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
wow the people over on head-fi.org would have your head for this! ;)

going for sound quality, these may not be your best bet. having personally owned them, they were not my cup of tea, and what is worse - they felt like i had a giant clamp on my head whenever they were on.

I never fully understood all the hate directed at bose. I tried the Grado's as recommended by head-fi and had a bad "experience". By experience I mean the full package: comfort, enjoyment, looks, good "fun" sound, etc. I don't care about accuracy as much as enjoyability. Bose wins in this regard.

Head-fi is full of followers and a few leaders. IMO

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I never fully understood all the hate directed at bose. I tried the Grado's as recommended by head-fi and had a bad "experience". By experience I mean the full package: comfort, enjoyment, looks, good "fun" sound, etc. I don't care about accuracy as much as enjoyability. Bose wins in this regard.

This is a little off topic..I apologize.

That is not a nice thing to say about a community of people who try to help others search for audio bliss. That's too bad you feel that way.

It just depends on what matters to you more. That is too bad that ONE experience with ONE particular headphone company has scarred you enough to claim that Head-fi members are what you say they are. You ultimately make choices. These people were trying to help you. I mean...people claim apple fans are sheep...we know at least there is reasoning behind our love. At least the followers go on their way to becoming leaders as evident by post counts and substantial contribution of experiences.

On that note, sound quality is subjective, and it does indeed depend on what matters to you more. What I wanted to say is that, THERE IS MUCH MORE OUT THERE BESIDES BOSE. Bose headphones are not the definitive answer to "What headphones should I get". Being apple fans, I know at least, I strive to look for the best of the best. So, OP, Keep looking, do not stop...there are limitless possibilities out there. I am sorry I could not offer more assistance on your original question.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I tested a pair at the Apple store and they sound really nice. Especially the bass on these things. I listen to a lot of 80's, trance, hip/hop, rnb, rock. Pretty much everything, and these sure make your music sound good (if you're original mp3s are ripped at a high quality that is, if not you will hear how horrible they sound and want to re-rip them at a higher quality). The fit is the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. They are light and do not hurt my ears at all. They look just as sexy as the iPhone 3G. I will definetly be getting a set of these real soon to go with my new iPhone. I am tired of the in-ear ones and prefer headphones, and to me although quite expensive are worth it! Good looks, extremely comfortable and great sound. Very "FUN" to listen to if you know what I mean, and also these don't make you look stupid when you have em on. The size is right on!

I know a lot of you audiophiles has a certain disagreement or hatred against bose because of the price to quality ratio. But if money wasn't an issue, these headphones are really good.

And for those who complain about having no controls to skip, pause, answer, or whatever. Not a big deal. I like to see whose calling me before I answer the phone anyways. And I also like to be able to select my own songs. So having the controls built into the wire is a no-no for me. If I wanted it to work like an iPod shuffle then I wouldn't mind it having controls. But I like to see whose calling me before i answer and all that.

And please don't bash me for thinking so. I have listened to a few good decent headphones, earphones to be able to make a decent judgement.

Just letting others know that these headphones are great for those who are interested in purchasing a set.

And yes I did use my own music to test it on. I plugged them directly to my iPhone. :)

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005

Grados are not the most comfortable headphones at all; they can be more comfortable depending upon the pads you use, but they'll never be winners in that regard. However there are plenty of other brands that offer the "full package," are cheaper and still sound lightyears better than Bose. Head-Fi isn't a bunch of people drinking the Kool-Aid, it just prioritizes sound over everything else 99% of the time, because it's an audiophile community. They're willing to either make sacrifices in comfort or attractiveness in order to gain sound quality, or to make modifications to great sounding headphones in order to make them more comfortable or better looking.

The AKG K81DJ/K518DJ and the Sennheiser HD25-1 are two excellent examples of more affordable headphones with a similar form factor to the Bose OE that completely school it in sound quality. The Sony MDR-D66SL "eggo" is another, but it's more similar to the around-ear (or circumaural) Triport.

I say yet again, Bose is TERRIBLE in sound quality compared to the competitors in its price range, and NOT worth the money. There are always better solutions for less money. If you're willing to spend this much, go for the HF-2. It sounds way better, has a clicker button, and it'll provide MUCH better isolation. If your main priority is bass, the V-Moda Vibe Duo will provide plenty of that and again, have a clicker.

Or you could get a 9.99 iPhone adapter from Target that has a built-in mic and clicker so you can use it in your car or with any headphone you like and not have to worry about compatibility.

cookiemoose

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
It's easy to bash Bose, but the Bose OE are are very capable headphones, I wouldn't particularly say the Sennheiser HD25's school them at all. Aswell the OE's are much more comfortable.

I can't really comment on the other headphones as I haven't used them before

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
It's easy to bash Bose, but the Bose OE are are very capable headphones, I wouldn't particularly say the Sennheiser HD25's school them at all. Aswell the OE's are much more comfortable.

I can't really comment on the other headphones as I haven't used them before

I was referring to the HD25-1s, not the HD25s, and how do you figure they're capable at all? They completely muddy the entire range of sound; uncontrolled, overblown midbass, NO lower bass, and completely veiled mids and highs.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Well I went to the apple store again yesterday to give them another test, and I still really like the overal experience that I am getting from them. I am not concern with audiophile level of accuracy or price really. To me, these Bose mobile OE headphones look better than most of the headphones I've seen and they are one of the most comfortable ones if not the only ones.

I can compare these to the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's, and to me these Bose OE has much better bass. The only thing is, they aren't loud enough for me. I usually have to crank the volume up to at least 90% or blast it to get a good loud sound.

If you can show me a set of headphones that looks better, fits comfortably, lightweight, looks good, has built in mic or phone features, great sound (got to have good strong bass), then by all means I will definitely get those over these Bose OE. But so far I haven't found one yet.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Well I went to the apple store again yesterday to give them another test, and I still really like the overal experience that I am getting from them. I am not concern with audiophile level of accuracy or price really. To me, these Bose mobile OE headphones look better than most of the headphones I've seen and they are one of the most comfortable ones if not the only ones.

I can compare these to the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's, and to me these Bose OE has much better bass. The only thing is, they aren't loud enough for me. I usually have to crank the volume up to at least 90% or blast it to get a good loud sound.

If you can show me a set of headphones that looks better, fits comfortably, lightweight, looks good, has built in mic or phone features, great sound (got to have good strong bass), then by all means I will definitely get those over these Bose OE. But so far I haven't found one yet.

My first suggestion would be the AKG K81DJ + the Philips iPhone adapter. Has the mic AND call answer/hangup. Very strong bass without ruining the rest of the sound; unlike the Bose which is just all bloated, awful midbass. Not as comfortable as the Bose, but much cheaper, MUCH more durable and infinitely better sounding. My second would be the Sennheiser PX100 or PX200 and the same adapter. Excellent bass on both of these and excellent comfort as well, and much smaller and easier to carry around than either the Bose or the AKG.

BiginJapan

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
Tokyo, Japan

Yes, there's a button that allows you to receive/hang up while listening to music (and, presumably, stop and start the music when no call is incoming -- that seems to be the standard pattern) -- that's clear. What I've been unable to determine is whether the mic/controller also allows volume adjustment and skip-forward, as some do. (I suspect it doesn't; otherwise the literature would probably promote that.) If it does, that would pretty much clinch it for me, as this is what I want -- a nice, on-ear headset, with maximum functionality in the mic/remote.

You guys who have these, or have played with them -- what functions is the remote capable of?

BiginJapan

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry, it appears my question may have been answered by 212rikanmofo:

And for those who complain about having no controls to skip, pause, answer, or whatever. Not a big deal. I like to see whose calling me before I answer the phone anyways. And I also like to be able to select my own songs. So having the controls built into the wire is a no-no for me. If I wanted it to work like an iPod shuffle then I wouldn't mind it having controls. But I like to see whose calling me before i answer and all that.

Apologies for asking before reading all the posts thoroughly.

Mochan

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
I've owned the Bose Triport OE for a while now. I am pretty happy with it, but I admit it's not perfect. But I love it because it is a mix of superb comfort, good sound and that warm, bassy sound that I love.

I am no audiophile but I do collect headphones/earphones and like to have different sets to really enjoy my music. I just wanted to put in my opinion on this discussion.

Having also had the PX100s, I can't believe ANYONE would compare the PX100s to the OE's. There is absolutely no comparison. They don't even sound close. If I am looking for something that sounds like the Bose OE, and you are telling me I can get better sound but with the same quality of bass as the OE but with tighter Sound Quality all aruond, the PX100 doesn't even begin to cut it. The PX100 has excellent highs and mids and is a very bright phone, it sounds great but the bass is not there. You can hear some of it but there is no detail on the low end, and it doesn't have that warm all-encompassing bass feel. At all.

On the other hand, the Vibe Duo. This one is a set that I *can* recommend as a substitute for the Bose. I have it as well, actually I have the Vibes, but the duo is pretty much the same thing except with some minor enhancements and phone control. It's about half the price of the Bose, but the sound signature is quite comparable, and in many ways better. First off, the Vibes have a better soundstage than the Triports by a large margin. Second, the highs and mids are better pronounce, and 'sparkle' more than on the Bose. They aren't quite as comfortable as IE's, but they are still pretty comfy. Just nowhere near as comfy as the Bose Triport OE. Lastly, and most importantly, the bass is very tight. It has that warm, oozing bass that I love. Not as heavy as on the Triports but still there and very engaging. In some ways this is better, and you might prefer that level of bass. But I personally prefer the bass on the Triports. In addition, the overall sound signature of the Vibes feels "metallic" for lack of a better term. It is very energetic and alive. The Bose signature overall though is "airy" and "wooden," it is very laidback and free floating, with a powerful bass grounding. But overall the two are very comparable and the Vmoda Vibes are a great alternative for the Bose.

Now, I am about to buy a K81DJ. The reason being that I am expanding my horizons. AKG is a well-regarded audiophile brand, so I wanted to really compare the Triport OEs (which audiophiles hate) to some phones that are similar and well regarded. The K81DJs are not audiophile-quality phones, they are said to have a good bass response and are not the most natural, nor are they reference quality, but that sounds similar to the Bose Triport OE's, and audiophiles still recommend the K81DJs/K518DJs. So I will be picking them up later, they are less than half the price of the Triport OE's, and pitting the two against each other should give me additional insight to sound, I am sure.

People claim the K81Djs are better than the OE in every way except comfort, and that the bass on it is bass done right; still powerful, just the way I like it, but with better quality and control and less boominess. This should teach me a few things about how to appreciate sound, so this should be a great purchase. I was originally planning to get maybe the K142HD or the K271 Mk II but I heard the sound on those is really flat and boring, and I might regret the purchase, even if they are audiophile level. They probably also don't compare directly to the Bose OE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.