Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nremondelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I purchased a Bose SoundDock II and loved it, but figured I was going to move it around a bit, so took it back for the portable. Got an awesome deal. For 420$ got an extra battery and the case.

So I take it home and I get this loud popping sound over and over again and a message saying it is an unsupported accessory. I let the dock charge overnight and figure I'll take it back the next day. (Called Bose and the guy said it is the same as the SDII so it should work fine) I docked my iPhone again today and it didn't happen nearly as often but every once in a while would happen when I docked it. Not sure what's going on. Any ideas? I really love the dock and want this to work, even if I have a lemon and need it to be replaced.

**Not sure if this is relevant. Upgraded to 3.0 and then later downgraded back to the latest firmware. As I understand it, my baseband was upgraded. Not sure if this affects it.

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
You're not alone. This happens to me too. There's also quite a few people on the Apple discussion boards that have noticed this problem. I think it is a known issue when using the iPhone 3G with the Sounddock Portable. I also don't believe that the Bose rep knew what he was talking about. If you check the Sounddock compatibility chart on the Bose website, you will see an asterisk (*) next to the Portable indicating that some noises or distortions may be present when using it with an iPhone 3G. The Sounddock II is listed as being fully compatible with the iPhone 3G. I'm not sure where, but I remember reading that Bose recommends using the line-in jack to connect the Sounddock Portable to the iPhone 3G.

According to the thread at the Apple discussion board, Apple and Bose are supposedly working on a fix. Since it has been uncorrected as of yet, I doubt anything will be done to solve this problem.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :)

Edit:

Here's what I found on the Bose website regarding the Sounddock Portable and the iPhone 3G (I couldn't paste it before because I replied using my iPhone):

"Using your SoundDock Portable system with iPhone 3G

The Bose® SoundDock Portable digital music system is a "Made for iPod"-certified product that works with most iPod models. This includes the iPod touch and any iPod featuring a click wheel (all nano, mini, photo and classic models).

The SoundDock Portable system is not a "Works with iPhone"-certified product, and is not completely compatible with the iPhone 3G at the present time.

Docking the iPhone 3G in the SoundDock Portable system may generate intermittent sounds through the SoundDock Portable speakers when the iPhone 3G battery is less than fully charged. These sounds can also be heard when the iPhone 3G is switched in or out of "Airplane Mode" while docked in the system. Apple is currently developing a software update for the iPhone 3G to resolve this issue. We suggest you check iTunes periodically for this software update.

Meanwhile, you can connect the iPhone 3G to the auxiliary input jack on the back of the SoundDock Portable system to play music (with limited functionality). Simply use a stereo 1/8-inch-to-1/8-inch cable to connect the headphone output of your iPhone 3G to the SoundDock Portable auxiliary input. This cable can be ordered from Bose Technical Support at 1-800-278-1281. Ask for part number 271994-001.

After connecting the iPhone 3G to the auxiliary input jack on the back of the SoundDock Portable system, select a track and press play using the 3G iPhone controls. The SoundDock Portable system remote control can be used to adjust the volume.

When used in this way, the iPhone 3G is not being charged. Please use the iPhone 3G charger supplied by Apple to recharge your iPhone."

Here's the link: Click Here

nremondelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks for the link. I went to the Bose store and called customer support. Neither heard of any issue, strangely enough. They swapped it out for another unit and I tested it in the store; no problems. I tested the old one in the store and couldn't get it to reproduce the sound.

Took the new one home and as soon as I put it it, it made the sound! However, my iPhone battery was on 10%, which would support the claim the article is making. At the store it had about 30-35% charge. I have the phone charging now. I am going to try again when it is charged up a bit and see what happens. I'm not sure what I should do. The SoundDock II doesn't have this problem. Thinking I should go back to that and save myself a headache and 160 extra dollars.

nremondelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Yes, they do, but they sell a package deal for the white model which includes the 60$ case and the 90$ extra battery for 420$.

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Wow! $420 for everything...that's a pretty good deal. I paid $399 plus tax for just the Sounddock Portable, when it was first released.

nremondelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I'm not sure if this means anything, but the Apple Store ones have a 'Works with iPhone' sticker on the box, but the Bose models I tried did not. I picked one up at the Apple store (my 3rd one for the record) to see if this one finally will be compatable because of the sticker.

Does yours have the sticker?

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I got mine from Best Buy, and I don't remember if the box had a "Works with iPhone" sticker on it, or not. I think the box is still in a closet somewhere...I'll have to check.

Let me know how your new one works out. I would've thought that they would all be the same, but now I wonder if you just might be on to something.

nremondelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
One more thing. When I asked him for the white one he said they only come in one color; silver. I thought that was odd because both Bose and Best Buy have white and black. Best Buy didn't have the sticker on theirs either when I checked the other night.

I'll let you know how it goes.

nremondelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Okay, I think I solved it. Opened up this one and docked iPhone. First, no nagging airplane mode screen. I have been listening for 15 minutes or so and so far no popping or any noise. I seriously think Bose and Best Buy are selling old models. The key here is t check the sticker. If it says works with iPhone it should be good. the wierd thing though is Bose has no clue, not even their support people, and Apple didn't seem to have a clue either. However, Apple did alert me that it needs to have the sticker and he pointed out the old Bose I had didn't.

The bad news is I can't take advantage of that awesome Bose deal. Had to pay 369 or whatever Apple is selling them for.

Hope this helps. i am psyched though because this is such a good sounding speaker.

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I'm glad you finally got one that works for you. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do mine. I've been using mine with my iPod Touch since it was released, and I really love the sound. I had planned on selling the Touch, once I got my iPhone, but I decided to keep it for use with the Sounddock.

I've got one question for you. Is the Sounddock that you purchased actually silver? Out of curiosity, I looked at Apple's online store...and, while they only offer one color, the picture posted looks like the black Sounddock Portable (silver front with black plastic back). I don't think I've ever seen an all silver one.

Anyway, good luck to you, and enjoy your Sounddock :)

nremondelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
It's really the black one. Used it today and had absolutely no problems. I'm so happy now. Too bad for Bose.

Lundmark

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello guys.

I just bought the SoundDock Portable and the sound is indeed amazing for such a tiny device. However, I am also experiencing these annoying intermittent noises with my iPhone 3G (OS 3.0).

I noticed the AppleStore website has a new (?) version with the Works with iPhone sticker, just as you mentioned. I can't find these versions in retail stores in Sweden where I live.

According to Bose though there is only one version of the SoundDock Portable, leading me to believe that the newer versions have newer firmware and aren't really new models.

What do you think of this theory? If so, I should be able to upgrade my Portable at a service provider to work flawlessly with the iPhone 3G.

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry to hear that your are having trouble. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to fix the problem. Your firmware theory kind of makes sense, but only Bose will know for sure. I suggest that you try to contact Bose. It is possible that they may be able to help you, or at least allow you to send it in for service. I have read about this problem in the Apple discussion forums, and a few non US forum members have had luck getting Bose to fix their Sounddocks. If I remember correctly, one person said that Bose simply replaced some sort of transistor or something. Bose support in the US hasn't acknowledged that there is a fix, so I am not sure about the truth of the post that I read. Still, it couldn't do any harm to call Bose support and find out what they can do.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck :)

nremondelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
After I picked my "works with iPhone" model up from the Apple store and tried it out and everything worked, I went back to Bose to 'enlighten' them on the subject. They seemed thankful. The kne employee said they had just received an knternal memo about my very problem and they would bs adding something to them so they work. That was about a month ago.

The bottom line is this. The box needs the 'works with iphone' sticker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.