Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I own a pair of Beats SoloHD and the noise cancelling feature is what I hate most on it (other than the seams keep popping open)

I hate how I can feel my heart beat and hear it as if it was positioned inside my throat or something.

Every time I move, the noise is outrageously loud.

I can hear my headphones rattling like crazy when I move them around.

So this 'noise canceling' only makes sounds around me louder, so removing this can't be a bad thing - can it?

I just usually turn up the sound so I don't hear those things. I am not a fan of noise cancelling on Beats, or of this feature at all.

-Juan

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Hopefully the Apple acquisition staff did their job thoroughly so that any liability owed Bose (if any) can be deducted from the acquisition price paid to Beats.

Still do not understand what the hell was worth $3 billion in acquiring this marginal company.

Maybe Apple should use this to scrap the deal.

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Seeing that we are not audio engineers, we have no say in what WE believe is right and wrong regarding the matter. I am sure an Engineer could tell when someone has copied their blueprint.

I sure don't feel qualified to judge. At this point I am just wondering out loud, as I know ANR has been around for a long while.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
It's ridiculous that these companies can sue for these vague patents which cover things like "design," "look" or "feel."

It's right up Apple's alley, they love legal battles, they used the same techniques on Samsung, and it's about time for them to return to court.

Funny how things work out. :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Here we go again...

As Samsung walks out the door they high five/tag Bose as they are coming in.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I own a pair of Soundlink Mini speakers by Bose... impresses me every day still.

I think headphones are still ridiculous when you can get in earphones that are less obtrusive and have just as good sound quality.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I got even money that says none of you could tell the difference between a pair of Bose and a pair of Beats headsets blindfolded.

You're probably right, I probably cannot. I guess that means I am not worthy to comment on this post, or to listen to music with headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Lol... This is sooooo funny.
All these years no action.( if there is any validity to their claim to start with )

But as soon as Apple shows up Bose gets into action.

Bose" lets see if we can deep our toes in some if apples cash? Woohaha ha "

Pathetic .

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Lol... This is sooooo funny.
All these years no action.( if there is any validity to their claim to start with )

But as soon as Apple shows up Bose gets into action.

Bose" lets see if we can deep our toes in some if apples cash? Woohaha ha "

Pathetic .

If their patents are valid, then they have every right to defend them.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
the perceived sound quality and peoples bias has little to do with this lawsuit. i find it amusing that thats the only thing most people are commenting on.

so I'm going to do the same (NEENER).

don't have a big wide range of experience with Beats. I have never used their newest line of headphones.

that said.

I find that Bose does a much much better job at accurately reproducing, and separating sounds, making for an overall cleaner and less distorted experience. However, They do not offer in their headphones a very large wide range of frequencies. Bass sounds tend to be subdued and high's can sometimes be missing.

Their noise cancelling however is completely unmatched by any headphone I have ever tried. Considering that I have this weird hearing where I always pick up ambient and distinctive noises constantly (To many migraines and anger inducing rage), Bose Quiet Comfort series has been the ONLY noise cancelling headphones that have provided adequate cancelling.

Beats on the other hand, tend to handle the frequencies a little wider. But that tends to skew towards the low end. There is clearly an emphasis in their main line of products towards emphasizing bass. Given who started the company and the tend of sounds the music geared towards, this is unsurprising, and should never ever be a surprise to anyone. This wider range though can often sound better for music that features more mid to low end sounds. I do find however that beats "seperation" of sounds is not nearly as clear, where there is often interference of one sound into another. not nearly as bad as cheap headphones, but it is there.

Their noise cancelling isn't so good.

Last edited:

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Actually, no, they are just one of a great many ANR aviation headset makers, and I'm not sure if Bose even gets credit for doing it first. They can also be purchased from David Clark, Lightspeed, Sennheiser, Telex, and a bunch of others.
I heard their implementation of ANR is regarded the best. I don't think the patents are about the general idea of ANR, they are about a specific implementation. If you think about it, there are many problems with the technology that are non-trivial to solve, like which kind of microphones are used, where they are positioned, how the signal is amplified, how it is processed etc. As always with acoustics the realisation is not as straight-forward as the idea sounds.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Okay, this is just ignorance.

Which part? The question of Bose "quality" has generally been settled to most audiophiles' satisfaction. They suck. I have the Bose "high end" sound system in my car and Bose Quietcomfort headphones, and they are mediocre at best. That's not to say Beats are any better. They're both mainly positioned by marketing, not actual performance.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
which leads me back to topic: IF Bose is accusing Beats of stealing the technology that leads to their noise cancelling, how has beats not managed to reproduce the same quality of it that Bose can?

Just because they stole the technology doesn't mean they know how to or have the skilled personnel to implement it. It's like having John Doe make a dish from a cookbook. Sure he has the ingredients and instructions, but it doesn't mean he'll be able to reproduce the dish perfectly.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Just because they stole the technology doesn't mean they know how to or have the skilled personnel to implement it. It's like having John Doe make a dish from a cookbook. Sure he has the ingredients and instructions, but it doesn't mean he'll be able to reproduce the dish perfectly.

Very true and I cede that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.