Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galganog

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
I am have been reading about people crashing and either your computers are FUBARED or your messing with the default settings and trying to make them as pretty as possible

I have a MBP 2.33 GHZ AT 1600x 2 gig of ram and i am getting 60 FPS 12vs12 single player vrs bots except when more than 18 things are running around then it drops to 30 fps.

When i go online its pretty decent too averaging 45 fps. Haven;t tried the 64 player map yet fearing to get my ass kicked to much but so far i am having a blast except when i run the walker over people on accident.

C&C 3 seems to be decent too. I have boot camp on my computer and compared to it i think it runs a little bit better natively and by natively i mean on the CIDER version.

I think people are giving CIDER too much crap i never have had any problems with CIDER games.

Spookym15

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2007
I am not having any luck with BF2142 I was able to load it up fine, I sat down to play it in single player mode there was no internet lag and it was the choppiest thing I have ever seen.

I am running a Mac Pro 2.66GHz tower and it has issues I can work on video and audio with this computer no flaws I put this game in and it jumps the audio skips. Waste of $40 bucks

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I have terrible luck under Tiger on my Mac Pro trying to run C&C3. Recent Leopard seeds run it just fine.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Hey Galganog - since you've been playing MP online, have you had to update your punkbuster files? I keep getting dropped about 1-2 min into a game (just installed tonight) and I think it's a punkbuster mismatch.

The Senator

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Virginia
Hey Galganog - since you've been playing MP online, have you had to update your punkbuster files? I keep getting dropped about 1-2 min into a game (just installed tonight) and I think it's a punkbuster mismatch.

hey bro,
I've been playing battlefield since the beginning . Its a problem with your router. its not updating automatically. you're gonna have to update punkbuster manually.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
hey bro,
I've been playing battlefield since the beginning . Its a problem with your router. its not updating automatically. you're gonna have to update punkbuster manually.

Another thread someone posted a link to the manual update - now I can play perfectly (well, my play is far from perfect, but I don't get dropped anymore! ;). I have no idea why it would not auto update. Any thoughts?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
How much better performance are you getting under Leopard as opposed to tiger?

I can get a very playable framerate on Leopard (no noticeable slowdowns/etc) at 1920x1200, model + texture detail high, and high shader detail on a MBP. Yet, scale it down to 1600x1050 on a Mac Pro running Tiger, and it is stuttering, lagging, and pretty much unplayable with the same settings... on a x1900XT (which is supposed to beat out the 8600M in the MBP).

OpenGL in Leopard is some very good work. CPU usage for OpenGL is greatly reduced. (WoW only uses 25% CPU in Leopard)

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Wow, that is great news.

I started getting a lot of graphics distortion - color artifacts and sweeping lines after playing an hour or so last night. It looked to me like the graphics card was overheating, but I didn't hear the fans spinning up at all.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I am have been reading about people crashing and either your computers are FUBARED or your messing with the default settings and trying to make them as pretty as possible

Hmmm neither of the 2 remarks you mentioned are true in my case.

Got my 24" iMac 2.8ghz, 2g Ram on Friday, 2nd software installed was BF 2142 (1st was WoW) and instantly crashed when started. No videos are displayed but the sound works (looks like someone is fooking with the horizontal controls on the TV) and the game looks like it runs in 256bit color mode in low rez.

After the first initial install, ran crashed, cleaned up, deleted preferences folder, even removed the com.transgaming.cider file, reinstalled, still crashes.

Did not mess with settings and my comp is DEF not fubared.

Really frustrating, really want this to run in OSX and not have to bootcamp to play.

giganten

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2006
In BF2142 do you play with PC players and do the mac version have the latest patch?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
In BF2142 do you play with PC players and do the mac version have the latest patch?

I can play on any server. I know some people have had issues with punkbuster but I haven't come across any as of yet. But yes you play side by side with other PC and Mac users and it's current as of 1.25.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.