Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you leave your iPhone/Apple Watch on charge overnight?

• Total voters

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I know there’s optimised battery charging & all that, but really, is this practice (overnight charging) really bad for the battery?

Also, is overnight wireless charging any worse?

Real world responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I have an Apple Watch Ultra with optimised battery charging enabled. Quite often, the battery stops charging around 80% for me because the way I use it during the day does not deplete the energy enough to require charging to 100% every night. Just turn on optimised battery charging and let the algorithm to do its own thing.

Of course, if you're like my spouse, he does his own manual optimised charging :) He puts it on the charger and keeps an eye on the time when he thinks the Watch should be off the charger. I think it works. But, it's also not the way I operate. I don't like to keep my mind occupied with that kind of frenzy.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I highly doubt the phone is going to turn off just because you’ve lost 3% health
Vast majority only keep the phone for max 2 years so this is all mostly irrelevant

It's temperature dependent. As the battery degrades, it's less likely to be capable of supplying peak current at low temps. Car batteries have most trouble in winter.

Not sure where you came up with the 2 year figure. The average is 3-4 years.

Reactions: retta283

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
It's temperature dependent. As the battery degrades, it's less likely to be capable of supplying peak current at low temps. Car batteries have most trouble in winter.

Not sure where you came up with the 2 year figure. The average is 3-4 years.

Not here in UK it isn’t. Most common is 2 year contracts with carriers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.