Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
The image below is of a Spigen case, with a stand. I like the sturdiness of the case.

What I do not like is the feel of the bottom part of the case, as it rests on my little finger. The little finger on my right hand, as I hold the device.

I wish that area was smoother, and thus felt a little more easy on my finger.

Normally, I use an Apple leather case. Love those. However, lately at lunch, I often watch videos, and need the device to stand. Hence, why I purchased the Spigen case with a stand.

7e742f7e0a2f5b45758aa8d999971c16.jpg

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
The image below is of a Spigen case, with a stand. I like the sturdiness of the case.

What I do not like is the feel of the bottom part of the case, as it rests on my little finger. The little finger on my right hand, as I hold the device.

Normally, I use an Apple leather case. Love those. However, lately at lunch, I often watch videos, and need the device to stand. Hence, why I purchased the Spigen case with a stand.

That can be a problem I've returned cases that were so bad they gave you alligator pinky lol, that looks smooth is it hard plastic? UAG monarch are good but no stand, so is OB symmetry but no stand.
Maybe a folio with a stand?

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
You know, for a moment, I was thinking I was being extra.
But, glad that you understand exactly what I am talking about, "alligator pinky" is bloody dead on.

The case is hard/stiff. But, overall, I love the case, except for that spot. The Samsung Note 10+ official case I had for me Note 10+, was perfect. A shame other companies do not make a similar one, with smoothness to it, for the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

That can be a problem I've returned cases that were so bad they gave you alligator pinky lol, that looks smooth is it hard plastic? UAG monarch are good but no stand, so is OB symmetry but no stand.
Maybe a folio with a stand?

Reactions: bobsamm

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
I completely understand what you're going through. It feels like almost every case I've purchased has this issue. And when I finally find a case that doesn't hurt my pinky, there's something else wrong with the case (either the buttons are too stiff, the lip around the screen is too high, the case itself is too wide, etc.). Basically, when I'm using a case, I have to sacrifice a need: either I have nice buttons but I amputate my pinky, or I keep my pinky but I can't adjust the volume.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately

I’m glad someone finally mentions pinky finger fatigue. For me I dislike cases with sharp cut outs.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Exactly, sharp cut outs. Odd that during the R&D and testing, no one 'feels' that...

I agree. All it takes from the manufacturer is to bevel the edges as to prevent the cut outs to be so sharp and fatiguing.

I’m currently using an Anuck silicon case from Amazon and the cut outs are acceptable. But it doesn’t have a stand.
On my previous devices I would remove the phone from the case and use 600 fine sand paper to smooth the cut outs out or a small round file. It helped a little.

Reactions: circatee

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I completely understand what you're going through. It feels like almost every case I've purchased has this issue. And when I finally find a case that doesn't hurt my pinky, there's something else wrong with the case (either the buttons are too stiff, the lip around the screen is too high, the case itself is too wide, etc.). Basically, when I'm using a case, I have to sacrifice a need: either I have nice buttons but I amputate my pinky, or I keep my pinky but I can't adjust the volume.
Did you end up finding a case that doesn’t hurt the pinky? I have an iPhone 13 Pro and have the same issue with apple’s original leather case. Does the bullstrap leather case have the same issue? What about the NOMAD leather case for the iPhone?

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
Did you end up finding a case that doesn’t hurt the pinky? I have an iPhone 13 Pro and have the same issue with apple’s original leather case. Does the bullstrap leather case have the same issue? What about the NOMAD leather case for the iPhone?
The bullstrap has a cut out on the bottom so your pinky will be up against the phone and not the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.