Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't like the idea of electronic keys because i don't see the point. Its like something else that's dependent on whether a component of your car is working properly or not. With a physical key, the car's internal computer can be shot to hell and I'd still be able to open my door. I know there's supposedly a security benefit, but it doesn't seem convincing enough to me.

Same goes for electronic brakes, electronic accelerators, or anything else they're planning on making electronic that isn't convenient or necessary.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Abstract said:
I don't like the idea of electronic keys because i don't see the point. Its like something else that's dependent on whether a component of your car is working properly or not. With a physical key, the car's internal computer can be shot to hell and I'd still be able to open my door. I know there's supposedly a security benefit, but it doesn't seem convincing enough to me.

Same goes for electronic brakes, electronic accelerators, or anything else they're planning on making electronic that isn't convenient or necessary.

Its an RF tag/RF ID system. If it breaks, its the same as if you break your metal key. In this case, instead of calling a locksmith, you contact the local SAAB dealer and they're roadside assistance takes care of everything. I'm not too concerned about it and its a nice feature.

D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mr. Anderson said:
yep - or in my case my XM Radio. We have the same thing in our Honda Element. And I know there are a few other cars out there that have the audio jack. I wouldn't be surprised if you see it more often than not in the next few years.

D

Given the convoluted connection that GM uses with their radios and the rest of the electronics of the cars, having a jack is the least they can do. My had the Buick Rendezvous with On-Star, and could not find a suitable solution for directly connect their iPod to the stereo.

Same sort of crap that VW had/has with their cars. Can't do a diagnostic with a third party head unit installed.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Mr. Anderson, I have a question about the Element. Is that back door really annoying? I was looking at the Element at a Honda dealer, but walked away cause of the thought of having to open the front door before the back door. Do you like it?

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Abstract said:

If you look at the "Is anyone else having a bad week" you should read about my car key difficulties. If you try to use the physical key to open/start the car it will set off the car alarm when you stick the key in the door and when you try to start the car it won't let you. You can only start the car when there are working batteries in the all-in-one key/remote.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ITASOR said:
Mr. Anderson, I have a question about the Element. Is that back door really annoying? I was looking at the Element at a Honda dealer, but walked away cause of the thought of having to open the front door before the back door. Do you like it?

I can offer my two cents since I looked at the Element when buying my Baja. The "back passenger door" only opening after the front door was not an issue for me. In fact it was very attractive for oversized loads. And that I never really carry more than one other when I am driving, passenger backseat access was not an issue that I was overly concerned about.

In the end the problem I had was Honda's stone walling on engine fires based on their words, "the improper installation of oil filters" during oil changes. Just reminded me too much of my troubles with my '99 New Beetle, and the excuses that VW made with each problem I had.

I have owned Honda in the past, but the way they handled the engine fire issue on the Element has made me anti-Honda for the near future. More companies need to take a page from Saturn in their early days. IIRC they had put the wrong oil in the transmission. They chose to replace each and every affected car with a new one.

In this case Honda did not have to replace vehicles. They only had to admit to a poor design and come up with a fix, not a service advisory on oil changes. Just how long have people been changing oil in their cars, and now we have fires based on poor fitting of the oil filter. Give me a break! Looks to me that Honda hired a bunch of of execs from GM and Ford to manage their bottom line.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Very nice car! Did you get the GM Employee price on it? The deals from the US auto companies are just nuts right now. I got a new Ford Explorer, my dad got a little Ford Ranger pickup and my brother got a Mercury Mariner (it's a compact SUV). Dad saved $6,000, my brother saved $8,000 and I saved $10,000.

Have fun with your top down if the wife lets you drive it!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abercrombieboy said:
Very nice car! Did you get the GM Employee price on it? The deals from the US auto companies are just nuts right now. I got a new Ford Explorer, my dad got a little Ford Ranger pickup and my brother got a Mercury Mariner (it's a compact SUV). Dad saved $6,000, my brother saved $8,000 and I saved $10,000.

Have fun with your top down if the wife lets you drive it!

I know I was really tempted, even with my nearly two year old Baja. The thought of better MPG with the likes of the Focus, Vibe, or 9-2X was very tempting. In the end I decided to accelerate my payoff and suck up the every other week $30 fill-up. :eek:

[BTW: with only three months till the two year mark, I have only 19K on the Baja, so hard to justify going to a new car at this point. Knock on wood.]

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Mr. Anderson said:
Its an RF tag/RF ID system. If it breaks, its the same as if you break your metal key. In this case, instead of calling a locksmith, you contact the local SAAB dealer and they're roadside assistance takes care of everything. I'm not too concerned about it and its a nice feature.

D

Well I know that, but I just don't feel comfortable with EVERYTHING going the electronic route. They're already planning on getting cars with pads instead of mechanical brakes. You're at the mercy of electronics once they do this. Now there are 2 things that could make the cars not work ---- the regular bake system we have now, plus the electronic trackpad bit. It probably won't translate into safer cars or anything, just novelty.

I'm not afraid of electronics. That stuff runs my life right now. However, when they're redo-ing things just for the sake of redoing it, then it gets a bit pointless.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abstract said:
Well I know that, but I just don't feel comfortable with EVERYTHING going the electronic route. They're already planning on getting cars with pads instead of mechanical brakes. You're at the mercy of electronics once they do this. Now there are 2 things that could make the cars not work ---- the regular bake system we have now, plus the electronic trackpad bit. It probably won't translate into safer cars or anything, just novelty.

I'm not afraid of electronics. That stuff runs my life right now. However, when they're redo-ing things just for the sake of redoing it, then it gets a bit pointless.

Much like vet pilots not liking "fly-by-wire". And the possibility of "fly-by-wire" leading to some crashes.

The question becomes on how we test the new way of doing things in the "consumer" market like cars - compared to a very well regulated industry as aircraft building.

If you look at reports from the likes of CR/CU, the "luxury" end of the market is suffering in quality. Why? It generally points to the excess of electronics.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
ITASOR said:

Not at all - its like having a two door in many respects and the rear door opens in a lot less room than the front door. You get use to it - but every now and then you I have shut the front door without shutting the back door.

The one thing that is a bit weird/annoying at times is that you have to take off your seatbelt when you open the rear door. But again, its not that big of a deal. Both my wife and I love the Element.

Abercrombieboy said:

Yep, GM discount - it made a huge difference. Not sure the exact numbers, since my wife did all the work on getting the car, but it wouldn't have happened if the offer wasn't available.

D

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Mr. Anderson said:
yep - or in my case my XM Radio. We have the same thing in our Honda Element. And I know there are a few other cars out there that have the audio jack. I wouldn't be surprised if you see it more often than not in the next few years.

D

You can thank me and a bunch of other "early adopter" 9-3 owners for that center console 1/8 inch. If you remember in DC, I was bemoaning the fact that the euro models had the jack, but the US folks didn't. A bunch of people on forums, myself included, let GM know about this.

It was essentially an incompatibility with OnStar that made them omit the 1/8 on the earlier models. Glad they're putting them on now, if only because I can go to my dealer and get them to put on in. :)

You'll love the car though. Reliable, solid, fast and zippy, comfortable. They're just great, and the convertibles were engineered to be a little bit better in some regards. Good luck.

m

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Moxiemike said:
You can thank me and a bunch of other "early adopter" 9-3 owners for that center console 1/8 inch. If you remember in DC, I was bemoaning the fact that the euro models had the jack, but the US folks didn't. A bunch of people on forums, myself included, let GM know about this.

It was essentially an incompatibility with OnStar that made them omit the 1/8 on the earlier models. Glad they're putting them on now, if only because I can go to my dealer and get them to put on in. :)

You'll love the car though. Reliable, solid, fast and zippy, comfortable. They're just great, and the convertibles were engineered to be a little bit better in some regards. Good luck.

m

Interesting about the jack, though. This one was built in Austria and it doesn't have OnStar. For some reason they left it out this year.

ejb190 said:
25 south of Warsaw has always been one of my favorite places to test drive a new car... as long as a cop isn't sitting outside Mentone, that is. ;)

I'll have to check out the Mentone run - I'v been up and down the Devil's Backbone on 25 just outside of Warsaw - great set of S turns that even at 50 (the speed limit ) you feel the Gs :D So do you live in the area? Not many people from around here that I know of.

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
ejb190 said:
Grew up near Rochester and went to school in Mentone/Tippecanoe Valley. My family is still in the area. I live near Valparaiso now.

I have to ask if you've ever been to the Don Quixote - the only Spanish Restaurant in Indiana :D

Every time I drive over to 49 on my way to Chicago I see that damn billboard....

And my wife bought the new car in Merrillville, btw.

D

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
EJBasile said:
I know. Its too bad. At least a saab isn't the same thing as a chevy malibu.

Edit: I take it back. Saab 9-7x = Chevy Trailblazer = Buick Rainier = Oldsmobile Bravada = GMC Envoy
5 Cars, all of which are pretty much the same thing except rebadged.

Exactly. But I kinda like the 9-7x. It has its own unique interior (which doesn't look as cheap as the Chevy and GMC models) and the exterior is kinda cool.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
ryannel2003 said:
Exactly. But I kinda like the 9-7x. It has its own unique interior (which doesn't look as cheap as the Chevy and GMC models) and the exterior is kinda cool.

Agreed... the Saab 9-7x is a lot nicer than the other GM cars... Saab fans are mad just cause it was made in Ohio! :rolleyes:

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
I have to ask if you've ever been to the Don Quixote - the only Spanish Restaurant in Indiana :D

Every time I drive over to 49 on my way to Chicago I see that damn billboard....

Haha, I see that billboard all the time as well, on my way to Chicago. I'm living a few miles north of you in South Bend.

I'm a big fan of Saabs, though I currently drive a Ford pickup. Generally I lean towards the Ford line over the GM family.

Anyway, congrats on the new car. It definitely looks like a sweet machine!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
w_parietti22 said:
Agreed... the Saab 9-7x is a lot nicer than the other GM cars... Saab fans are mad just cause it was made in Ohio! :rolleyes:

I think GM needs to stop buying other car brands and work on improving interior designs and reliability. My mom's 2005 GMC Yukon XL has a pretty cheap looking interior compared to the Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada, and Toyota Sequoia. Plus the reliability on the Yukon's aren't the best (Mom had to put a new transmission in less than year old 2001 GMC Yukon).

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
ryannel2003 said:

I give them credit for putting a better quality interrior. The exterior how ever could have been better IMO. It needs a better looking front end (perhaps less squished down).

I've been in a trail blazer (some friends of mine had one as a rental caer) and I got a ride in it and I though Oh my god this thing is a cheap piece of crap, who would ever want to buy one of these. The interrior looked and felt cheap and the ride felt underpowered and very swayish.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
EJBasile said:
I give them credit for putting a better quality interrior. The exterior how ever could have been better IMO. It needs a better looking front end (perhaps less squished down).

I've been in a trail blazer (some friends of mine had one as a rental caer) and I got a ride in it and I though Oh my god this thing is a cheap piece of crap, who would ever want to buy one of these. The interrior looked and felt cheap and the ride felt underpowered and very swayish.

I'll agree on some points that GM needs to have better interiors (as well as having exteriors that just don't seem to be "rip offs" of other cars). They also need to bring up as you said, the "feel" of materials inside.

I owned a '99 New Beetle, and what drew me in was for its price point, decent build quality or "feeL' in the interior design. Not to mention it hung on to its "show car design" very well.

Your comments about the Trailblazer feeling "underpowered", may have to do more with our desire for being "overpowered". I hear the same complaints about my Subaru Baja with the base engine. Sure more power is "nicer"; but IMO hardly needed. Unless I want to be a "jackass" that needs to show-off by trying to blow past someone that is doing 75 in 55 zone, by passing them in such a fashion. Or wanting proving one manhood by doing 0-60 in 7 seconds.

Make all the excuses you want, if we had 80% of the vehicles on the road, "underpowered" we might have fewer instances of accidents - and might just save a bit of gas in the process.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
EJBasile said:
At least a saab isn't the same thing as a chevy malibu.
The Saab 9-3 is built on the same platform (Epsilon) as the current Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6, Opel / Holden Vectra, Fiat Croma and next year's Saturn Aura and (Europe-only) Cadillac BLS. I agree that the Saab 9-3 looks nothing like its Chevy counterpart, whereas the Trailblazer / 9-7X and WRX / 9-2X appear to share a lot of body panels.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What I'm really going to be curious to see is the new Saab 9-6x - a midsized SUV based on the Subaru B9 Tribeca. That is going to be very interesting....

We might see it in 2007, it seems...

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.