Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Hello All,

I just went to BestBuy and bought a new MacBook Pro ahead of the refresh in two days. It cost $1199 + tax, but its the Core i5, non-touch bar, 8GB, and 256GB. So far its downloading Mojave and will be my daily runner. I'm excited to get it. I know that new ones are coming out here soon, but I wanted a new one so bad. I hate the temptation, but oh well. I have a new Mac now =D

Thanks,

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Well Best Buy has a pretty good return policy. So if you see something better for your liking this Tuesday event, then you can return it.

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
I bought the same model a month ago, waiting fot next Tuesday, elite member here (45 days return window), but as far I see, looks I will keep it, since I think the next MacBook will be better than this one...

But next Tuesday we all be more wise...

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Hello All,

I just went to BestBuy and bought a new MacBook Pro ahead of the refresh in two days. It cost $1199 + tax, but its the Core i5, non-touch bar, 8GB, and 256GB. So far its downloading Mojave and will be my daily runner. I'm excited to get it. I know that new ones are coming out here soon, but I wanted a new one so bad. I hate the temptation, but oh well. I have a new Mac now =D

Thanks,

What year is that MacBook Pro?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I'll be using it for some Angular development, school, C# dev, I want to get back into macOS app development and that as well. The keyboard is quite a bit interesting to use. I'm still getting used to it. Its very fast though so I'm very happy with it, for now. If they come out with something better and cheaper I'll probably return this and get something brand new.

Reactions: TokMok3

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Don’t get emotionally attached to it, the new ones may be better. If you do swap for a new unit you can take your data with you using Time Machine or similar, so it would be worth spending a few minutes setting that up too.

Good luck with it no matter that happens next week of course.

Reactions: slooksterPSV

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Don’t get emotionally attached to it, the new ones may be better. If you do swap for a new unit you can take your data with you using Time Machine or similar, so it would be worth spending a few minutes setting that up too.

Good luck with it no matter that happens next week of course.
Thank you Howard2k =) I appreciate it. Let's see what happens next week.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Hello All,

Thanks,

I would have waited at least until Tuesday. It's just a few days. $1200 is a lot of money. Don't you want to spend it on the latest and greatest Apple has to offer. If the new MacBook Air? turns out to be one gem of a computer, you're going to have to box up that 2017 MBP of yours and take it back to Best Buy and arm wrestle them over returning it. I say arm wrestle because even if it's within the 14 days, they will still give you a hard time over it. That's how Best Buy is; returns are never painless at Best Buy. Of course, they will eventually return it for you, but why put yourself through all the hassle when new Macs are coming in three days? Makes no sense.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I would have waited at least until Tuesday. It's just a few days. $1200 is a lot of money. Don't you want to spend it on the latest and greatest Apple has to offer. If the new MacBook Air? turns out to be one gem of a computer, you're going to have to box up that 2017 MBP of yours and take it back to Best Buy and arm wrestle them over returning it. I say arm wrestle because even if it's within the 14 days, they will still give you a hard time over it. That's how Best Buy is; returns are never painless at Best Buy. Of course, they will eventually return it for you, but why put yourself through all the hassle when new Macs are coming in three days? Makes no sense.
I wouldn't say it's always painful to return things at Best Buy, quite the contrary. Countless people, myself included, have had nothing but fast and easy returns, and at three BB locations in town over the course of the last couple years. This includes both various iPads and MacBooks. Keep the receipt and all the packaging (which I normally do anyway for any of my Apple hardware), be within the return window, and there shouldn't be any problems. One thing I do have to concur with would be waiting a few more days knowing that Apple will be coming out with something new on the near horizon. I understand the whole "gotta have it" impulse purchase but I also would want to have the latest and greatest if possible :)

Reactions: SDColorado

FlushedNotRushed

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
Just bought a refurbished MBP from Apple - 2018 15" 2.2 i7 / 16GB / 256GB for $2200. I hope to be able to use it and sell it within 2-3 years for $1600ish. :D

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I had second thoughts on my Air and returned it to Best Buy 2 days later. The gentleman across the counter just asked why I didn’t want it and I told him it was the screen and was not happy. No further comment just a simple return.

Reactions: SDColorado

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I've been very happy with the device albeit I haven't used it too much with other priorities coming up. The keyboard is a bit different. I've seen the videos on the keyboards not working after so long due to the butterfly switches getting dust or that caught underneath them. I'll keep this in mind. I'm waiting for next week's release announcement to know whether to return this one or not. Right now though, its fast, it does everything I need it to do and more, and I don't feel plagued by slowness.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Can someone tell me if I'm actually clicking on the trackpad on this device? It makes a sound like its pressing down but I don't see the trackpad move. Maybe its just me. I'm curious though.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
i doubt they are updating macbook pros on tuesday considering they were updated a few months ago.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
i doubt they are updating macbook pros on tuesday considering they were updated a few months ago.

The op has the nTB version, which wasn’t updated. It’s possible that the 13” announced next week may be a competitive model to this one, regardless of how it’s specifically named.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The op has the nTB version, which wasn’t updated. It’s possible that the 13” announced next week may be a competitive model to this one, regardless of how it’s specifically named.

Ah, didn't realize that, thanks.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm keeping my 2016 nTB as well. The only things the new Air have that I would like are the new keyboard and Touch ID, but I'd rather not give up the CPU/GPU and screen of the nTB for those things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.