Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just curious, what is the standard aspect ratio of a chest x-ray?
When they used to be taken on film (before digital imaging), they were 14" x 17", and that aspect ratio has stuck. 14:17 = 0.82
The LG DualUp is 16:18 = 0.89, so pretty darn close. Much closer than a standard 16:9 monitor turned in portrait orientation (0.56).

Reactions: Amethyst1

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have a display that was used for medical imaging. It has a 4:5 = 0.8 aspect ratio. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks!
Monitors made specifically for medical imaging can be quite expensive (up to $17,000 for 32" DCI 4K 4096x2160). There is a used market but most of them have a lot of hours on them and can have fading backlights, dead pixels, deep scratches on the screen, or are otherwise pretty beaten up.

Better quality consumer grade monitors can be used, but one should carefully calibrate them as best as possible and the user should know the monitor's limitations. Lighting also has to be well controlled as consumer grade monitors generally aren't nearly as bright as most medical grade monitors are capable of. And most current dedicated radiologic monitors have 10-bit panels while only some of the upper-end pro-level monitors do.

Six or more years ago I would not have suggested at all that consumer monitors can be used, but higher quality modern consumer grade monitors can get really close. My Apple Studio Displays are actually clearly better than some of the PACS monitors we have at the hospital.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Bit of a thread bump... I'd previously tried one of these LG DualUp monitors (I'm not a coder) and didn't get on with it, but its finally clicked for me this week.

I've been working at a client site and they have these screens everywhere. I was able to use one as a secondary screen alongside a 5K 27" monitor and I used it as more of a "scratch space" that a second monitor.

Using it like that, with my main display front and centre, with one or two apps maximum, it really works for me. I've got a couple of spaces setup on it - one is just any primary app for my work which I'm not using but will want to keep an eye on and/or swap into the main display to do something. The second is messaging apps, music etc, stuff that runs in the "background".

The arrangement on the DualUp doesn't do much for my OCD as its more of a "scrapbook" collection of windows, but its physical dimensions mean that unlike just rotating a normal monitor to be in portrait, I can comfortably see much more on-screen within my normal eyeline, as opposed to a taller, slimmer monitor.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I was able to borrow one of these for some work over the weekend and have come in today to find it flickering constantly. Doesn't matter what resolution or cable you use... Spoke to the guy at the client and apparently its been quite a common issue with them which needs to go back to LG for repair/replacement.

Its intermittent so will come and go, but a quick Google has shown its also happened to others so thought I'd mention it here.

• Wow
Reactions: xraydoc

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I was able to borrow one of these for some work over the weekend and have come in today to find it flickering constantly. Doesn't matter what resolution or cable you use... Spoke to the guy at the client and apparently its been quite a common issue with them which needs to go back to LG for repair/replacement.

Its intermittent so will come and go, but a quick Google has shown its also happened to others so thought I'd mention it here.
Hope that doesn't happen to me! I've got two of them on my WFH PC (paid for by my workplace, so I have no invoices or anything, though they do I'm sure).

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands

Strange, moreover annoying. I've been using a DualUp of 18 months now, no issues.

Great monitor if you want a dual screen setup that does not tak up your entire desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.