Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Prior to covid, I traveled a lot on long flights, primarily for pleasure. I bought AirPods Pro to replace the big Bose QCII which are uncomfortable to wear (for me) with eye glasses and are obviously just bigger. I also found it difficult to just rest my head against the seat with the Bose headphones. So, with noise cancellation, I got the AirPods Pro for flights. And of course, right after I bought them Covid hit and I haven't been on a plane in almost 2 years.

How do the AirPods Pro compare to over the ear headphones (with noise cancellation) on a plane for you? Are they a solid replacement?

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
It’s why I bought them. I travel for work a lot and need the music to bide my time on planes. 2 reasons i switched to APP, Honestly was tired of arriving to my destination with a band indention across my head (to call on customers with weird looking hair) and I was tired of lugging a bigger case of headphones. Not that it was huge but I try and pack light for traveling and always had an awkward headphone case to carry or store.

And with as much as I use them for phone calls they were a no brainer. They have been the best piece of tech I’ve owned. Can carry them in my front pocket, use them regularly for phone calls and music and don’t have the hairband problem.

I am seriously considering beats fit pro now though if sound is slightly better and i cant hear myself taking steps.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
It’s why I bought them. I travel for work a lot and need the music to bide my time on planes. 2 reasons i switched to APP, Honestly was tired of arriving to my destination with a band indention across my head (to call on customers with weird looking hair) and I was tired of lugging a bigger case of headphones. Not that it was huge but I try and pack light for traveling and always had an awkward headphone case to carry or store.

And with as much as I use them for phone calls they were a no brainer. They have been the best piece of tech I’ve owned. Can carry them in my front pocket, use them regularly for phone calls and music and don’t have the hairband problem.

I am seriously considering beats fit pro now though if sound is slightly better and i cant hear myself taking steps.
Yes! I didn't even mention the way over the ear headphones mash your hair. Definitely another drawback. The only thing I don't like about the AirPods Pro is they sit so deep in the ear canal that they both me after a while. The over the ear both me in different way, as we've said, so I suppose they break even in that regard.

How do you find the noise cancellation for the APP on flights?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I have had Airpods Pro for just a month and I have not used them for flying. I have used them in the subway and at home when the washing machine is working.

I also have had Sony WH-1000 xm3 for more than 2 years and I have used them for around 8 flights plus in the subway and even at home while working.

I also wear eye glasses and I have no issues with my Sony headphones. I might not fly now but I use them at work - around 6 to 8 hours a day and I have no issues with them.

Over the head headphones offer better NC in my experience as they come with also good noise isolation. So I would still use the Sony while flying (in the plane). I see myself using Airpods Pro when in the airport though.

That being said Bose QC II are rather old model and their NC is below the one I experienced with the Sony. It could be on par with the Airpods Pro. I cannot say as I have not used the Bose. What I can tell you is that for NC Sony wins over from the Airpods Pro for few reasons:

1. Comfort - earbuds are for me less comfortable than over the head phones
  2. NC itself
    1. Sony suppresses more than Airpods Pro
    2. Sony offers pure silence, with Airpods Pro I can hear some white noise
  3. Atmospheric pressure - when flying I can definitely feel the pressure change. In such cases earbuds are not good experience for me. Experience with Sony for me is better.
  4. Sound quality
    1. Over the head headphones have bigger sound drivers so usually the sound quality is better
    2. Sony app offers more options to configure sound (EQ) than what you can do with the Airpods Pro
    3. Sound stage perception is better
There are two things where Airpods Pro win over Sony (and I assume over Bose) - transparency and call quality.

To sum up. If you want NC earbuds that are integrated in the Apple ecosystem Airpods Pro is the way to go. If you want however best in class NC you would have to know that it is better to rely on over the head headphones (Bose, Sony, Airpods Max) and not earbuds.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.