Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iluvbeer99

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
If it’s on contract swapping it will make no difference. The replacement will be registered with the network and still get disconnected if bill not paid. That is a fact

Question, could he/she pay one of those unlocking services to solve that issue?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Guys I found a mint condition IPhone X while dumpster digging.

It came on iOS 12 too? Idk

In all seriousness, getting my X for 549 on a two year was a steal to me!

And don’t have to look over my back or fear of it becoming a bad IMEI either lol

Reactions: Applejuiced

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Personally, I have gotten to the point where I don't even sell my Apple devices anymore used. I used to frequent eBay, but with all the fraud that's on there, it's absolutely ridiculous . And even craigslist, it's nice to have the cash in hand, but I don't even trust any of the people that are on craigslists or their intentions of what they really are looking for behind a sale. So either just keep my devices until they are no longer usable or give them to someone else I know.
I am with you on ebay. I am a member since 1999 and used ebay for buying but mostly for supporting my hardware upgrade habit over the last 18 years. Until the last few years. iPhone sales gone bad, buyers not paying, fraudulent craigs list type asks, offers to pay above asking, etc. The real kicker is that ebay does NOTHING to support the seller. Zero.

I used swappa to sell my 7 after I received my X. A good experience. Check it out.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I am with you on ebay. I am a member since 1999 and used ebay for buying but mostly for supporting my hardware upgrade habit over the last 18 years. Until the last few years. iPhone sales gone bad, buyers not paying, fraudulent craigs list type asks, offers to pay above asking, etc. The real kicker is that ebay does NOTHING to support the seller. Zero.

I used swappa to sell my 7 after I received my X. A good experience. Check it out.

Craigslist is the best (depending on local market) . Meet in a public spot, cash, and done. No shipping no waiting no fees. Nada

Works well for me cause I restore on the spot and not til then (don’t wanna burn a jailbreak for someone who’s a flake and doesn’t show up or wants to lowball last minute)

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Craigslist is the best (depending on local market) . Meet in a public spot, cash, and done. No shipping no waiting no fees. Nada

Works well for me cause I restore on the spot and not til then (don’t wanna burn a jailbreak for someone who’s a flake and doesn’t show up or wants to lowball last minute)
Yeah, but lots of emails from people asking to offer to send you a fraudulent check for over asking.

Reactions: Peter K.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Craiglist is still a good place to sell iPhones. I sold my IPhone 7 Plus a few months back for $630, I then sold my moms and stepdads IPhone 6 and 5s for $165 and $90 respectfully all sold within a day. This does make me think the OP must live in a rural area for the seller to get desperate. I live in LOS ANGELES and never had a problem selling an IPhone quickly. The tactic I use is to be insanely honest, to the point I’ll even tell them my phone still has a balance and to meet me at the T-Mobile store where they will pay off the balance and can verify that it is paid off. But yeah I would never buy any phone on craigslist for more than $200 and that would only be to use as a spare phone.

Lol. Didn’t know if you swapped the phone it would still be tied to the same account. But now that I think about it I guess it’s true. I can’t imagine apple telling someone with a swapped phone to call their carrier and tell them it was swapped. I would imagine that would all happed on it’s on. So I guess you will wont be safe for a long time with this phone. Good luck bro.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, but lots of emails from people asking to offer to send you a fraudulent check for over asking.

When I receive those texts or emails, I think to myself who the hell falls for this. Because clearly someone is for them to keep doing it. It makes me think of that classic American Pie scene when Jim walks in a sees the warm pie and is like should I I do this. Lol. I imagine the people scammed have the same look on their face right before they say, “sure I’ll ship it to that small country in Africa for twice the money, what could go wrong”.
6ed3af159dfcd9e40c5494b8d55b32eb.jpeg

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Facebook Marketplace is almost as bad as Craigslist. I see a ton of really low priced iPhones on there. A lot of them take pics of the device with the screen off. I don't even consider looking at it if the screen is off in all the pics.

Reactions: 44267547

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
I honestly think OP paid full price for the iPhone X and just made this thread to troll.
Lol no. 1000 for a phone ?
[doublepost=1513668599][/doublepost]
Craiglist is still a good place to sell iPhones. I sold my IPhone 7 Plus a few months back for $630, I then sold my moms and stepdads IPhone 6 and 5s for $165 and $90 respectfully all sold within a day. This does make me think the OP must live in a rural area for the seller to get desperate. I live in LOS ANGELES and never had a problem selling an IPhone quickly. The tactic I use is to be insanely honest, to the point I’ll even tell them my phone still has a balance and to meet me at the T-Mobile store where they will pay off the balance and can verify that it is paid off. But yeah I would never buy any phone on craigslist for more than $200 and that would only be to use as a spare phone.

Lol. Didn’t know if you swapped the phone it would still be tied to the same account. But now that I think about it I guess it’s true. I can’t imagine apple telling someone with a swapped phone to call their carrier and tell them it was swapped. I would imagine that would all happed on it’s on. So I guess you will wont be safe for a long time with this phone. Good luck bro.
I live in the IE. seen iPhones x selling for 500 the other day
[doublepost=1513668632][/doublepost]
Enjoy your iphone X
Went back to my 8 plus

Reactions: Applejuiced

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
So what ignore them
To each his own. I fully understand the ways of a scammer. For some (me) it’s just not with the extra $40 bucks to be bombarded with crap. I got $550 for my 7 on swappa, have them $20 and PayPal $15 (I think). Smooth and easy.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
probably one of those phones stolen from the fedex truck in san fran. Either way, the comments from people on here are too funny.
[doublepost=1513717733][/doublepost]

how much did it cost you to ship out the phone? what service did you use? I thought about selling on there, but I was able to sell it from Offer Up instead

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014

In the past couple of years, I only used eBay once, to help a friend sell his Nintendo Switch. After completing the sale, the eBay and PayPal fees came out to over 20% of the sale price. This, along with everything listed in your post, is why I'm done with eBay. Swappa is definitely the way to go, if you don't mind being bombarded by lowballers.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
probably one of those phones stolen from the fedex truck in san fran. Either way, the comments from people on here are too funny.
[doublepost=1513717733][/doublepost]

how much did it cost you to ship out the phone? what service did you use? I thought about selling on there, but I was able to sell it from Offer Up instead
I think about $8 bucks.

Reactions: its Dale
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.