Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
So I tried a Google Pixel as second phone and hated it. I already have a IPhone 15 pro. So I got an iPhone 11 very similar to my phone but felt pointless having two phones and trying to copy everything between two phones. Six months ago I sold my iPod touch but I got a brand new one this weekend. Prefer it being smaller but worry apps won’t work forever on it. For me iPad is too big so I don’t use it when my battery is low. I feel bad selling the iPhone 11 but just felt like it was same phone and having to duplicate stuff twice. What’s the alternative in future an SE? Maybe the iPod will last? Bottom line is who needs two phones when you can only use one at a time?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish? One reason you might need two phones is if you wanted to separate different parts of your life, for example work and personal. Well, perhaps you might need a second phone for other reasons, but I probably shouldn’t go over that here lol.

Are you trying to go for a small phone? Perhaps the iPhone mini? The iPod won’t last forever, but neither will anything else. There’s just not much a use for them if you’re going to carry an iPhone unless you really want your music separate.

For me, the iPad shines as a media consumption device, AKA watching YouTube or Amazon prime movies. I can’t watch an entire movie on a small iPhone screen

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
So you got an iPod as a second phone. Calling or wireless data are not important then. You already own a 15 Pro and you don't see the point in a second phone. Wait, what is the question again?

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I reconsidered the retirement of my Touches after I saw there was the recent security patch out for it, but my use is purely as a home remote for which the Touches have been near perfect.

However seeing as it can only run iOS 15 and many apps are increasingly starting to require at least 16 (especially apps for work) I see zero point in walking around with one beyond maybe to run audio media apps or something.

Phone wise I still use two 11 Pros as I've not seen any burning need to upgrade (which has, as someone who upgraded every other year, been an eye opener... though the fact that I'm still quite a hermit ever since the pandemic may have something to do with it, lol) but however well both work for me now, I will obviously have to upgrade both at the iPhone 16 timeframe when they stop getting OS/security updates. I'll probably go with the two smaller Pros again.

I can understand wanting something more compact as a second unit on the move but really, the way the current product line is looking it's not really possible - and a Touch isn't relevant anymore unless they refresh it, which of course won't happen. Is an SE a good option as opposed to something like a 15 or another Pro? Only you can decide that.

Last edited:

JacksonLife

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024
Me too, I plan on waiting out until my current phone (IPhone Xr) becomes unsupported and then just using that as my “IPod”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.