Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Purchased a brand new iPad Mini Sprint branded at a retail computer store.

Called Sprint to check if the device is carrier locked.
Cust service has no info on this IEMI device and tells me to call tech support direct.
Tech support direct asks for my Sprint number (which I'm not a customer of) and tells me to take the device to local store.

Called local store first and was given cust. serv. number.

Catch 22.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
iPads are not carrier locked. This should help: iPad Q&A

iPad models equipped with wireless mobile data connectivity (3G or 4G+LTE), regardless of generation, are "unlocked" and not tied to a carrier in the United States.

However, just because the iPad is sold unlocked does not mean that any specific version of the device will work on all carriers. Paying attention to supported frequency details is important to avoid disappointment, and perhaps even more so on the used market.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Chatting with Sprint online chat. I'm told it's locked and will only work with Sprint.

I'm told to visit store I bought it to unlock (it's a retail store that died not sell any serv contracts)

I'm told to bring to Speint owned store.

----------

I'm a TMobile Customer.

Am I better off returning this Sprint unit and picking up ATT branded device?
The store does not have 64GB andymore for ATT only 128GB (and I do not need that much space).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.