Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Well, the used 11pro “mint” condition came in today. Everything seems to work except the front speaker/earpiece. It’s crackly and low. I can barely understand the person on the other side.

Any advice? (I got through Swappa, so return/refund is option the website says).

Kind of bummed, but halfway expected something to be wrong. (Man I wish I had gotten the refurb when it was available 😫)

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Is the port clean?
What about all the others?
Speaker is clean… I guess. Nothing I can see. Who knows if prior owner gunked the inside up or not… it sound crackly, like a blown speaker.

Other speaker grill is clear. Charging port clear.

The screen is all smudgy like it doesn’t have oleophobic on it anymore . Kind of bothered by that, and I imagine it was some cleaner to get screen protector gunk off. 🙁

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Speaker is clean… I guess. Nothing I can see. Who knows if prior owner gunked the inside up or not… it sound crackly, like a blown speaker.

Other speaker grill is clear. Charging port clear.

The screen is all smudgy like it doesn’t have oleophobic on it anymore . Kind of bothered by that, and I imagine it was some cleaner to get screen protector gunk off. 🙁
Return.
It's certainly not in "mint" condition.

Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I can't stand buying used stuff.
Yeah, this was my learning moment. Never again.

I’m just glad it’s not my main device, and I don’t need it. It was a total splurge to reward myself for some extra stressful things I’ve been dealing with lately.

Oh well, that’ll teach me.

Reactions: Splitrail

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Yoooooo: they cleaned the front speaker with a “brush and this kind of putty stuff”

Volume is full now and as expected!

getting a new battery right now at the Apple Store… now it’s just waiting game to see if there’s water damage inside and they can’t do new battery…. 🤞

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I suspect that when seller removed tempered glass she used some kind of cleaning to get gunk off and made it all smudgy…. And that gunked up front speaker.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Yoooooo: they cleaned the front speaker with a “brush and this kind of putty stuff”

Volume is full now and as expected!

getting a new battery right now at the Apple Store… now it’s just waiting game to see if there’s water damage inside and they can’t do new battery…. 🤞
That's good news!
I asked earlier if the port was clean because sometimes an issue is the result of a maintenance problem.
Did they clean it at the Apple Store?
I'd be curious to know what their "putty stuff" is.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
That's good news!
I asked earlier if the port was clean because sometimes an issue is the result of a maintenance problem.
Did they clean it at the Apple Store?
I'd be curious to know what their "putty stuff" is.
Meee too. Yes took to Apple store. They tried cleaning it and came out and had me test. I played music and covered bottom speaker and it was coming out strong in the top.

It was funny the Genius helping me said that the speaker did not look like it was supposed too. (It was this light grey)

When it came out it looked black and I could make out the speaker grill much better.

The putty stuff absolutely would love to know what it is. Jam a wad of that stuff against the grill and pull out gunk like it’s a Biore Pore Strip. Haha

I thought the port was clean at first because I could see the grill okay, and I had used a dry toothbrush to try and brush it out like Apple website said.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Meee too. Yes took to Apple store. They tried cleaning it and came out and had me test. I played music and covered bottom speaker and it was coming out strong in the top.

It was funny the Genius helping me said that the speaker did not look like it was supposed too. (It was this light grey)

When it came out it looked black and I could make out the speaker grill much better.

The putty stuff absolutely would love to know what it is. Jam a wad of that stuff against the grill and pull out gunk like it’s a Biore Pore Strip. Haha

I thought the port was clean at first because I could see the grill okay, and I had used a dry toothbrush to try and brush it out like Apple website said.
With the info you provided ("putty"), I searched and found this................

See Method #3.
Good info to have!

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.