Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I decided to post here because headphones are definitely part of iPod and iPod touch's accessories.

Over the weekend, I had a chance to play with Bowers and Wilkins P5 headphone at apple store. It was so noisy in the store with at least 100 or more people inside. Everyone was talking, crying and screaming about how they dropped their stuff... blah blah.

I looked at P5 and picked it up to listen some songs, then it was almost dead silent. I was so shocked that headphone almost blocked out almost every noises in the store.

I fell in love with it and placed an order immediately thru apple.com.

300 dollars is a lot of money to spend on headphone, but I felt like it was not overpriced with the materials they used and the sound quality I was getting.

Anyone have Bowers and Wilkins P5 headphone and love it or hate it? I would appreciate the feed back. I was debating this headphone with Bose QC 15, but I went with B&W headphone P5 in the end.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
amazing choice! These headphones are incredible. I smile every night listening to them (just got them 3 weeks ago). Build quality, materials, packaging, oh and the sound.. top notch! I love how accurate it is. when i play heavy music it sounds heavy, when i play mellow music it sounds mellow. These headphones adapt to your music, rather than the music adapting to the sound of your headphones.

I am on the search for a decent priced earbud that i can have a similar p5 sound in my pocket. Natural, but with enough low end umph

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
amazing choice! These headphones are incredible. I smile every night listening to them (just got them 3 weeks ago). Build quality, materials, packaging, oh and the sound.. top notch! I love how accurate it is. when i play heavy music it sounds heavy, when i play mellow music it sounds mellow. These headphones adapt to your music, rather than the music adapting to the sound of your headphones.

I am on the search for a decent priced earbud that i can have a similar p5 sound in my pocket. Natural, but with enough low end umph

Agree with you 100% on that. I got them for 218 dollars thru apple.com after Tax. I love itttt.

As far as decent priced earbud, I have bose IM2i earbud. It's priced at 129 dollars. Not bad and it is pretty decent.

P5 amazes me because of the clarity of the sound. It kicks anything that I have heard so far. Go away Dr. Dre and Bose. P5 is the new king.

Megagator

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
USA
$300 earbuds?! I would never spend more money on headphones than on my iPod. Personally, the Sennheiser CX 300's are perfect. They are bass driven, but when listening to my modest soundtrack collection, I can hear every distinct sound. They also do a superb job at noise isolating as I can pretty much run a 20 hp lawn mower without any other ear protection. Oh yea, and they're only $45.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
the P5 is a full sized headphone, but portable at the same time. And I bought the P5 the day before thanksgiving, and on black friday they had that massive 71 dollars off sale, apple credited me the difference!

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
$300 earbuds?! I would never spend more money on headphones than on my iPod. Personally, the Sennheiser CX 300's are perfect. They are bass driven, but when listening to my modest soundtrack collection, I can hear every distinct sound. They also do a superb job at noise isolating as I can pretty much run a 20 hp lawn mower without any other ear protection. Oh yea, and they're only $45.

This is a headphone. It is not an earbud. I am a music nerd and quality of music is first for me. I have shure 530 earbud and that costs 250 dollars as well.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I know this thread is a little old, but I just wanted to add my experience to the discussion.

I bought the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 computer speakers earlier this week, having built up a trust in this company to build amazing audio hardware (I also have the XT8 floor-standing loudspeakers). These computer speakers, by the way, are absolutely amazing. They're full-range, and I mean REALLY full range. They sound almost as good as the XT8s and even go slightly lower. It's hard to believe that such a full, clear and dynamic sound comes from such tiny speakers. Highly recommended if you want (and can afford) real hi-fi for your mac.

Anyway, one great thing about these speakers is that they connect to your Mac (or Windows PC) via USB, meaning that they process the digital information themselves, ensuring the best possible sound quality. Plugging headphones into them also takes advantage of this audio improvement. Having experienced the amazing sound of the MM-1s, I wanted to take this sound on the road (specifically on my day-to-day travels to university). The P5s do just this. They stomp all over the Bose QuietComfort 2s I have, which are 7 years old and starting to fall apart. I compared them in an audio store near my student home for over an hour (using my iPad and a few lossless-encoded albums). I walked away with the pair and have been using them with my MM-1s' output since.

I am extremely pleased with these headphones and I look forward to using them for several years to come. Their build quality is superb, so much better than the all plastic/synthetic leather Bose cans I have, and they're comfortable enough to wear for hours.

Unless you really want unnaturally high bass and 'enhanced' treble, ignore all that Beats By Dr. Dre nonsense and get some real headphones that are built to last, and faithfully reproduce the sound that the studios have worked so hard to perfect.

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
I bought the P5 today, and I'm blown away! This is by far the best sound/music quality I've ever heard through headphones!

diogojg20

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
I bought WeSC Bongo Headphones Limited Edition for $110 dollars and then I went to a local apple store and I saw the P5 I thought "What a waste of money on WeSC Headphones should have spended more $ 190 and have bought the P5 headphones..

I think that the WeSC bongo were a good choice but after 40 minutes with the headphones my ears are really hot... and then I start getting headaches and it´s really annoying... I bought them 2 months ago so now I can´t buy the P5 headphones :( guess ill just need to wait another year.. till my headphones get wasted and then see what options I have.. Beats by dr:dre are also a pretty good option $306.. cheaper on bestbuy.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I listened to them in the Apple Store, and it was great! It didn't have artificial treble and bass like the Beats by Dr. Dre. It wasn't "almost dead silent" like you said, maybe because I was wearing a cap.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
I tried them out at a local music store called bjorn's. It's a pretty unreal store, and has one of the only few 10.2 audio systems in the world.

I was actually amazed at their sound quality and fit/sound isolation as well, considering they well.. look like two bricks. Then I checked out their price later on, and I was not amazed any more. They're a nifty bit of headphone, but I wouldn't pay that price for them, I'd rather get a beyerdynamic dt880. I also think my M50s sound a tiny bit better than the P5s, and they only cost 100. Could be that the M50s just get a bigger benefit from being plugged into a 1200 dollar iDecco compared to the P5s, but whatever.

If I had money for days to spend, ya I'd probably get them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.