Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
So the other day I picked up an M-Audio thing (forget it's proper name) that allows me to connect the MIDI I/O on my edrums to the USB port on my Mac so I could record into Garage Band. Well, it didn't take long for my delusions of adequacy (I know I'm far from grand) to be completely shattered.
"Gee, I coulda sworn I kept better time than that." I thought to myself.
"Huh, my hands & feet are a bit out of sync every now and then." I noticed.
"Man, coming into/out of that fill sounds like a pit bull chasing a cat thru an ally of half empty garbage cans." I realized.

I am glad I can finally step back and "hear" myself since what I think I played and what I actually played are not exactly the same thing.:D

I'm also looking forward to creating my own tracks as well as some drumless tracks to play to.

Lethal

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i thought your story was going to end up with you finding a MIDI timing issue w/ the box.

have you ruled that out?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
zimv20 said:
i thought your story was going to end up with you finding a MIDI timing issue w/ the box.

have you ruled that out?
I'm fairly confident this is newb drummer problem. :)

Lethal

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I think this means you've started on that long hard road to becoming a really good drummer - embrace it :D

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
don't be so hard on yourself

you're probably comparing your playing to the pre-recorded studio stuff you've been listening to all your life. Of course that stuff is going to be as perfect as they can make it, but rest assured, those guys went through plenty of takes to get the finished product on tape. The important thing is, you've realized that you can improve. Just don't worry about it and keep playing...you'll get better without even realizing it.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
beatsme said:
those guys went through plenty of takes to get the finished product on tape.
and then there may have been protools editing, sound replacement, mastering...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
beatsme said:
you're probably comparing your playing to the pre-recorded studio stuff you've been listening to all your life. Of course that stuff is going to be as perfect as they can make it, but rest assured, those guys went through plenty of takes to get the finished product on tape. The important thing is, you've realized that you can improve. Just don't worry about it and keep playing...you'll get better without even realizing it.
I've helped record and mix a local band before, so I have an idea of what what it takes to lay it down, and what can be done to "fix it in post."

I'm not trying to sound down on myself, but I just thought it was funny how different what I thought I was playing sounded from what I actually played (kinda like how everyone thinks they sound good singing in the shower, but if they hear themselves on tape...surprise. :D).

Like I said in my original post I'm glad I can record myself now so I can better critique my playing and hear what I'm doing right and wrong.

I was tempted to have Garageband help "clean up" my timing, but I was like, "Nah, that's cheatin'."

Lethal

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Ever hear of VocAlign?

A tidy little post-pro plug-in for ProTools that will re-sync voice against an existing dialog track...

Works perfectly for drums against loops or click and bass against drums too...:D

I spent 2 hours on Tuesday tightening up a pro session drummers timing against a couple of loops in a track, nothing extreme, just losing a snare flam here and there.

Being aware there's a problem is half the solution.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
LethalWolfe said:
I've helped record and mix a local band before, so I have an idea of what what it takes to lay it down, and what can be done to "fix it in post."

I'm not trying to sound down on myself, but I just thought it was funny how different what I thought I was playing sounded from what I actually played (kinda like how everyone thinks they sound good singing in the shower, but if they hear themselves on tape...surprise. :D).

Like I said in my original post I'm glad I can record myself now so I can better critique my playing and hear what I'm doing right and wrong.

I was tempted to have Garageband help "clean up" my timing, but I was like, "Nah, that's cheatin'."

Lethal

word to that...I've played with people who have problems (ugh) and don't think they do, and thus they feel no need to correct them. It's irritating as hell. I'd much rather play with people who realize what they could be doing better and want to improve.

props to you :)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Try not to get too frustrated yet.

Many of those perfect drum tracks you hear get quantized.

One very popular ProTools plugin is Beat Detective.

While there are some great "in the pocket" drummers,
it takes quite a while before anyone can play along perfectly to a click track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.