Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Any tips on cleaning? I’ve been out on the ocean a lot (salt water) so I shower down with it. I even used a high pressure garden hose which helped a bit. It’s so comfy I wear it all the time but the Maize yellow is pretty dirty.

What’s the recommended cleaning? Can I put it in a zippered pocket and use the washing machine?

E0D4BBF1-A06D-4750-AF4C-BDDF7C15AF5A.jpeg

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Looks pretty clean to me in that picture! This is what Apple states (I highlighted the section that would apply to your band type):

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 12.44.10 PM.png

So, they don't say to NOT put it in the washing machine, but they don't list it as SOP either. Maybe others who have done that will chime in and say if that's worked ok for them. I cant imagine a mild detergent would harm the band, but, again, Apple makes no mention of anything but water for your type of band.

Reactions: twanj

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
I’ve been washing mine (one Apple and two knock-offs) in the washing machine, in a mesh/lingerie bag with other laundry, cold water, ordinary laundry detergent since I just throw this in with my regular laundry, and haven’t had any problems. I don’t put them in the dryer, just lay flat to dry. I’ve been doing this for several months, generally after wearing a band for a couple weeks, and I haven’t seen any sign of wear.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Yep Same I put my watch bands ( Solo Loop / Sports Loop / Woven Nylon / Woven ) in a the pockets of my trousers and then put them in the washing machine on a cool cycle (30 Degrees ) - Been doing it for years and they come out fine. We don't have a tumble dryer, so I would not advise putting the bands in one of those.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
I always throw mine in a jeans pocket and then into the washer and then the dryer. Works great and also shrinks it back down slightly for the perfect original fit.

Reactions: Europa13

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I’ve been washing mine (one Apple and two knock-offs) in the washing machine, in a mesh/lingerie bag with other laundry, cold water, ordinary laundry detergent since I just throw this in with my regular laundry, and haven’t had any problems. I don’t put them in the dryer, just lay flat to dry. I’ve been doing this for several months, generally after wearing a band for a couple weeks, and I haven’t seen any sign of wear.
This is useful to know. I am thinking of a braided solo loop and washing came up in my list of questions.

brecode

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
Soak in cold water with some oxi clean solution and then some scrubbing has worked fine for me

kinesthete

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
I know this post is from ages ago, but I'm so excited that I finally got mine clean that I wanted to post in one of the first places I looked when I was trying to figure out what to do, in case it's helpful to someone else. I tried throwing it in the wash in a lingerie bag with detergent and oxiclean, and it maybe worked a little bit (and certainly didn't hurt it), but it still looked pretty dirty. So then I soaked it in the sink with warm water and a little Eucalan (which I use for clothes that need to be hand-washed), maybe for 20 min (I wasn't paying attention, long enough to forget and then remember), and then rinsed it out, and it came out great! It's all red again, without dirty scuffs on the top of every braid loop. I'm so pleased.

Also, it didn't seem to impact the slightly stretched (but perfect) size.

Reactions: twanj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.