Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluemutiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Queenstown, New Zealand
I managed to get old engine oil all over my braided pride solo loop and hand soap isn't really doing the trick.

If it was clothing I'd just use something like Sard to work away at the oil until it's clean again but I'm slightly concerned it's going to make the colours bleed out on the strap... has anyone got any advice from experience with oil and braided loops? Pretty niche subject I know!

And yes... next time I'll take it off first ;)

BabyFu18

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Georgia
So I’m not sure about engine oil, sorry, but wanted to offer this one thing that helps lift grease out of delicate fabrics (like chiffon) is baby powder. It won’t bleed the colors and if you get a lot of it off with washing then possibly letting a dry band sit with baby powder on it may help release some of the oil stains. As above suggested dawn dish detergent (I’ve used the clear version on delicate clothing without issue) is a good option too.

Reactions: bluemutiny

bluemutiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Queenstown, New Zealand
I didn't have Dawn (don't think it's sold here) but I tried a comparable product (rubbing it in and soaking it for a day) to no avail, dried it and then tried the baby powder but still nothing budged. I think the main issue was this wasn't fresh oil, it was nasty thick black stuff and I'd probably left it too long and it had set.

I decided to risk it and went nuclear, used a Sard stain remover stick (it's like a paste in a tube), worked that in by hand then soaked it in cold oxi clean. Washed it out and that got rid of most of it (didn't get under where the strands cross over but you can't really see that anyway).

For the sake of longevity of anyone searching this, I can confirm there was no bleeding or dulling of colour throughout any of this and if anything they're just as vibrant as when it came out of the box. I'm surprised, especially with some of the lighter colours, but also happy!

Thanks for the tips team :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.