Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
Hello!

I'm trying to find any review, or any information about the BrainFreqz apps. I am really interested in the sleep one, but if anyone has used any of them, please let me know how it works, and which one.

Thanks,

m

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
While I can't help you with that APP specifically, I will say at least look at mind wave. Same concept, except they don't bone you $1.99 for presets. Not only does mind wave have presets built in, but he promises more every month.

Again, I have not tried it, but it seems like a much better deal.

Hello!

I'm trying to find any review, or any information about the BrainFreqz apps. I am really interested in the sleep one, but if anyone has used any of them, please let me know how it works, and which one.

Thanks,

m

edrex

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
I was all set to buy Mind Wave til I read that you need to listen through headphones to get the effect. I wanted it as a sleep aid and there is no way I can sleep with headphones on.:(

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I was all set to buy Mind Wave til I read that you need to listen through headphones to get the effect. I wanted it as a sleep aid and there is no way I can sleep with headphones on.:(

But, do not buy any program that claims you do not need headphones. For the tones to be effective you will absolutely need headphones.

Lightbrazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
Only Binaural waves require the headphones, isochronic tones do not.

The better deal is MindWave although it does require the headphones. I will also mention that binaural tones are well studied and DO have a scientifically proven effect. I will also let you know that you don't need to be listening while laying down, the whole methodology of binaural beets is that they entrain the brian waves to mimic them. Once your brain waves are entrained to the new frequency they will remain at that frequency unless you do something to change them. Ie if you're sleepy you need to do something to wake yourself up, you won't just suddenly become wide awake just because you stop listening. So you can just sit back and relax reading a paper or surfing the internet while listening and when you find yourself falling asleep just take off the headphones and go to sleep.

One final thing, the brain is most likely to entrain to an outside stimulus when that stimulus is at least somewhat close to the brain pattern currently active. So you'd probably want to start out using clean slate then move on to deep medication then move on to sleep induction (three different settings of the app), this will stage down your brain patterns and lead to the most likely success.

The only gripe I have with MindWave is that it attempts to stage you down on it's own using a looped track but the loop isn't long enough, which means just when you're really getting sleepy it shoots up to a high frequency as the loop starts over (I'm speaking specifically on the sleep induction setting).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.