Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

islandmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2020
Brand new 16" MacBook Pro won't connect to WiFi. Has a self-addressed IP address. Only one potential fix to change the MAC address but only works temporarily. Any help is much appreciated.

-

Details

I just received a 16" MBP today, and set it up from Migration Assistant as I've done with many Macs successfully over the years. However, it wouldn't connect to WiFi, stating, "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.***.** and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

This was when I was connecting to previous known networks. However, it WAS able to connect to one open, unsecured SSID which I'd never used before successfully.

The only fix that has mysteriously worked is to change the MAC address. When I run the command line on this forum post, the WiFi successfully connects. However, upon restart, it once again reverts to self-assigned IP.

Can anyone please help explain how I can resolve this, why the MAC address change works temporarily, and how I can ensure a more permanent solution? It's a custom ordered 16" MBP that took 5 weeks for delivery, so I'd highly prefer not to send it back. This has been tested on two different ISPs, at home and work, and via two different mobile hotspots. It only connects with an open SSID with no authentication.

Here are a list of things I've tried:

1. Resetting SMC/NVRAM/PRAM

2. Renew DHCP Lease

3. Remove/delete network

4. Delete plist/prefs in the SystemConfiguration

5. Tried two different hotspots

6. Tried two physically diff networks at home and work

7. Reinstalled Catalina and started from scratch

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Why would changing the MAC address solve the issue? Unless your network has restrictions on which MAC addresses are allowed? In which case, you need to get your MBPro MAC address added to the list. This flies in the face of point 5 though.

Your explanation doesn't really make sense and you haven't provided any details, so it's difficult to say.

Can you explain more about how the network is set up and why you think changing the MAC address makes sense.

islandmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2020
I actually don't think it makes sense either, and so far Apple can't figure it out. I only tried the MAC spoofing as I found it on the forum that I linked above. I'm limited in my networking knowledge so I can't provide rationale as to why it would work. I just have no idea why it's able to connect to open networks, but as soon as there's authentication it reverts to the self-addressed IP problem.

The fact that it's occurring over two different ISPs both at work and home, and via two mobile hotspots is mystifying.

islandmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2020
I just spoke with Apple support on the phone. They were very unhelpful and bordering on condescending. They stated that this isn't an issue with the Mac, but rather the ISPs and that I'd need to contact them. I find that highly improbably considering it's two completely different ISPs, on two diff physical locations (work and home) and via two diff mobile hotspots.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Let's simplify things and start with the home network.

First thing is to backup the configuration of your home network from the router. The GUI will allow you to do this.

It doesn't connect at home right?

What happens if you disable all your home network security, does it connect then?
Assuming not, what happens if you hard reset your home router back to manufacturer settings?

islandmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2020
Ok I just disabled the password on an alternative network that previously wasn't working. With no password, it will find an IP and connect.

What does this likely point to as an issue in your opinion?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Did you try running diagnostics?

1. Press and hold Option (Alt) ⌥ key, then choose Open Wireless Diagnostics from the Wi-Fi status menu
    yosemite-disconnected_icon.png
  2. Enter your administrator name and password when prompted.
Wireless Diagnostics begins analyzing your wireless environment:

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I recently had this problem on my 2018 MacBook Pro, maybe my iMac too, but it was only happening with my 5ghz network and I’m not sure exactly what fixed it. Somewhere between removing the network, renewing the lease, and restarting the router it went away.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Ok I just disabled the password on an alternative network that previously wasn't working. With no password, it will find an IP and connect.

What does this likely point to as an issue in your opinion?

Security misconfiguration on your end. :)

How familiar are you with wireless security? WPA2-PSK might be your most optimal solution. Are you manually configuration the wifi on your Mac? Or are you using the wireless router's "smart setup" (or whatever" features?

Do you know what security setup the router has right now? Do you know enough to blow it away and re-configure it?

islandmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2020
Once I put a password back on the network, it wouldn't connect again - same issue.

A diff rep from Apple Australia was much more helpful and thorough. He believes at this stage it may be hardware/firmware related and only further diagnostics can help. They've confirmed that they've never seen an issue like this.

As it's happening on multiple networks, across two diff ISPs, it seems unlikely that it's an issue with any settings on my end as it's been reset to factory default, and the fact that it wasn't able to connect right out of the box prior to any input on my end.

Unfortunately, this looks like it was simply a lemon.

Reactions: Largeham

Largeham

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Once I put a password back on the network, it wouldn't connect again - same issue.

A diff rep from Apple Australia was much more helpful and thorough. He believes at this stage it may be hardware/firmware related and only further diagnostics can help. They've confirmed that they've never seen an issue like this.

As it's happening on multiple networks, across two diff ISPs, it seems unlikely that it's an issue with any settings on my end as it's been reset to factory default, and the fact that it wasn't able to connect right out of the box prior to any input on my end.

Unfortunately, this looks like it was simply a lemon.

Did you ever get this fixed? I’m having the exact same issue...verbatim.

islandmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2020
Did you ever get this fixed? I’m having the exact same issue...verbatim.
Sorry to hear that - it was an exhausting issue. Ultimately, between Apple Australia, Apple Asia, and Apple US, they decided to have me send it back and they provided me with a new one. They deemed it to be an issue beyond the scope of anything I could do on my own, and may have been a hardware problem.

The new one is perfect with zero issues others have reported. Best of luck!

Reactions: appleuser181
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.