Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleOMGZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
This whole camping and purchase session is a complete disaster!!! First, I line up at the irvine spectrum at 12am last night, and end up waiting in line next to a fat lady with B.O., then I end up dropping my mac and chipping away a corner a little. So after waiting 9 hours I figure out from the sales lady I am not eligible for a upgrade and have to pay the whole $499!!!! I buy it because I love apple and then head home a happy camper. I go to the bathroom and bring my iphone in because I wanted to see what was what. Next thing you know I go to wipe and accidentally drop it in the unflushed toilet!!! Now, I have an iphone that doesn't even work! Should I take it back and exchange, or should I sneak in the store and change it with the display phone?

discuss.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
You won't be able to get it exchanged as they can easily tell if it has gotten wet. ;)

Your best bet is probably to just buy a new one. Or leave that one off for a few days (seriously - don't touch it!! for a few days) and see if it'll work after drying out ..

Deofol

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
In all honesty.. Turn it off, dry it off, shake it off, and pray it works tomorrow.

If it works, NEVER repeat this to anyone.... EVAR!!!

techguy2011

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
Nobody else is phased that his iPhone 3G is covered in.... um... fecal matter? I don't think drying it out will help much. I wonder if the yellow screen bug will be more prominent in his phone? :D

scottybe

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2006
milk test

Strange. PC Mag dropped it in milk and it worked perfectly even before wiping it off. I guess milk is thicker than water or pee.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Boy if that isn't the meaning of Not meant to be, I don't know what is.

Put the phone in a bowl of rice and pray to the iPhone Gods that it dries out.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2006
spend like hours and hours blow drying it, make it look like it never got wet, dry as a whistle, and then take it and say its not working for some mysterious reason

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Speaking of dropping the iPhone. Doesn't it look like Apple put a nice rubber ring around the screen to possibly help with the cracked screens when dropped.

Also, to the OP, learn how to hold onto things. MacBook and iPhone in one day. Wow.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
wow,
thats like one of the funniest/saddest stories i've heard in a while. i dunno what to tell you. won't hurt to try and take it back but maybe sanitize it first? right now you might be able to get away with more in returns due to the volume of people in the store. they may be like, not working, give him another...move along move along.

there wasn't any booze involved was there? there was a girl i was dating who dropped my 2 day old nokia 3650 in a rum and coke....that nokia was a bad mother when it came out :) i'll never forget that look on her face before she looked into the drink and then to me....

Inf4life

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Houston, Tx
Sounds to me like you are a uncoordinated buffoon and shouldn't be allowed to own any Apple products at all. What were you doing holding it the same time you were wiping in the first place??

techguy2011

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
Wow, you are clumsy... iPhone, Macbook... learn to take care of your products...

Sloth want a Baby Ruth?

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
Sounds to me like you are a uncoordinated buffoon and shouldn't be allowed to own any Apple products at all. What were you doing holding it the same time you were wiping in the first place??

Yeah, really. If I was going to bring my hours-old iPhone into the bathroom with me (which, I probably would do), I would be wickedly careful. For one, when the wiping time arrived, the phone would be way the hell away from me and my filthy hands if I am wiping. Wiping hands are NOT iPhone hands until they have been thoroughly (very thoroughly) cleaned. AND you dropped your computer in line? If that happened to me, I'd be so careful for the next couple weeks it wouldn't be funny. See if it works, if yes, give it to someone as a gift, buy another for yourself. Or don't, buy yourself a $50 cheapo just for toilet dunking.

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I'm always worried this is gonna happen to me with expensive products! this may be weird, but have any of you been tempted to get a product soaked in water or have it fall into a tub of water, well i mean has that fear ever loomed among you? Like right now you have the choice to **** up all your electronics if you wanted to, but you don't... lol but sorry bout that that sucks

AppleOMGZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008

I was trying to finish a text message and wipe really quick before my girlfriend came over.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
I was trying to finish a text message and wipe really quick before my girlfriend came over.

Hm. You wipe quickly for your gf but take your time with others? What kind of contortionist wipes and holds a phone with the same hand?

For future reference, separate tasks.
  1. Use phone.
  2. Place on stable desk.
  3. Use facilities.
  4. Wash hands.
  5. Return to use phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.