Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeeGo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Finally decided to replace my 2013 13" rMBP.
Got myself a 2020 MacBook, 10 gen, 13" 16GB with 4 Thunderbolt ports.

Took it out of the packaging, within 20 minutes of use (not from backup) started seeing these: Green pixels
  • The "weird" pixels appear in darker areas of the screen.
  • This effect persists for up to 20 minutes.
  • Pixels can be bright green/blue/purple.
  • Not bound to any app window.
  • I do not use dark mode or night shift, and tried turning off True Tone - does not help.
  • Happens intermittently, 3-4 times a day.
  • Can not reproduce on demand, i.e. sometimes happens under no load (just browsing web), sometimes when there is something graphically intensive happening (4k video).
  • Not visible on screenshots.

I've tried:
PRAM/VRAM, SMC resets, safe boot etc
Reinstalled the OS 2 times
Turned off True Tone

nothing helps.

Has anyone encountered this?

Additional info:
Wiped the drive. Took the MacBook to an AASP the first time, a week later, their response "diagnostics did not show anything". Then, just 2 hours after getting it back, the same issue showed up. Took it back again the same day. A week later I get the laptop back with the following message "we've re-attached the display cable. We don't recommend you use Dark More/True Tone/Night shift. This might be a software issue, you'd have to wait for Apple to issue a software update." I took the laptop to the retailer and asked for a refund/replacement. The retailer is denying a refund/replacement because in their testing it did not exhibit any issues and, by their words "it is most like an issue of some software you use".

appleuser181

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
Definitely unacceptable and not normal for a brand new device. I'd return this one if I were you, since dealing with so called Apple "Geniuses" could be very frustrating and time consuming. Just return this one if you're still within the return period and get yourself a new one. That's what I would do in this situation.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Absolutely not acceptable. Call up Apple Care and ask for a manager to review the case. Take photos and videos of this, send it to them.

Even as a software issue, it is not acceptable and still is a defect. Return it for a refund.

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Request for replacement, I think you can do it since it is less than 24 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.