Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Just got a brand new iPad pro and it was DOA. Of course Apple offered to express ship me a replacement unit but had stores been open I know my local store would have exchanged me a new retail unit so that's what I requested Apple phone support do. It has seemed to cause a bit of a headache.

I want a new exchange over a service unit because well...we all know service replacements are "reconditioned" and give that this was DOA I figured it wasn't an extreme ask to want a new sealed unit.

I started thinking about it and since these just came out a few weeks ago the replacement units might be the same as the retail units at this point anyways. Just wanted to get some thoughts here to see if I am over reacting or not.

Thanks.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You may be right that replacements will be like the new ones at the moment- but to be on the safe side just initiate a return and place a new order.
At least then you’ll have full warranty from the day you register onwards.

ppenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
You may be right that replacements will be like the new ones at the moment- but to be on the safe side just initiate a return and place a new order.
At least then you’ll have full warranty from the day you register onwards.

I agree with you and the AppleCare start date is one of the reasons I want to do it this way given the long shipping times right now. After I posted this I had another call and they finally sent me a shipping label to exchange. So...I'm looking at about at least a week before I get the new one.

ppenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Yikes! That is rough! :confused:
Yeah...It took a week for the first one to get here...just sad...really wanted to play with it as much as possible while locked up at home haha. I haven't bought a new ipad since the original iPad Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.