Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baconroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Hi. I just bought a brand new iPhone XS from John Lewis in their Christmas sale for £629 today. Got home tonight and I plugged it in to charge it for first time and battery health is 100%. However, it is showing last charge with date of 21/09/2019. How can this be right. I am charging it for the first time tonight. It was all sealed and new. Have I been sold a refurbished phone?

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I highly doubt it’s a refurb. As far as I know all new iPhones are charged before they ship them out so when you buy and open them they can be set up without needing an immediate charge. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Every iPhone I have ever bought had an initial charge prior to purchase.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That's the manufacturing date of the device. All new devices have a "last charge" date.

baconroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
I highly doubt it’s a refurb. As far as I know all new iPhones are charged before they ship them out so when you buy and open them they can be set up without needing an immediate charge. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Every iPhone I have ever bought had an initial charge prior to purchase.
Ok thank you. Makes sense.
[automerge]1578005763[/automerge]
That's the manufacturing date of the device. All new devices have a "last charge" date.
Thank you. I should have realised this as the phone wasn’t discontinued until the new iPhone 11’s were realised so I probably have one of many of the last manufactured ones.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Hi. I just bought a brand new iPhone XS from John Lewis in their Christmas sale for £629 today. Got home tonight and I plugged it in to charge it for first time and battery health is 100%. However, it is showing last charge with date of 21/09/2019. How can this be right. I am charging it for the first time tonight. It was all sealed and new. Have I been sold a refurbished phone?
The best thing you could do to check it is to use Coconutbattery to see the charging cycles count of the battery. A brand new phone should have just the ones you did since the purchase.
[automerge]1578041836[/automerge]
TBH I never checked the last charge date on a brand new iPhone, so I’m not sure if the field is populated since the beginning...

muhle

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2014
I just got my iphone 11 this month (may) and upon setting up the phone i looked under battery and it showed a "last charge" of 3/31/2020. It was charged to 84%.

Is this normal with a brand new phone? I have not charged the phone yet.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I just got my iphone 11 this month (may) and upon setting up the phone i looked under battery and it showed a "last charge" of 3/31/2020. It was charged to 84%.

Is this normal with a brand new phone? I have not charged the phone yet.

Normal, that's the factory charge and your phone's birthday.

muhle

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2014
Normal, that's the factory charge and your phone's birthday.
I see. I asked this on another thread and people had no idea and they said they had never seen this on a new phone as there should be nothing there.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I see. I asked this on another thread and people had no idea and they said they had never seen this on a new phone as there should be nothing there.

It's been there for a long time. If I remember correctly, some SE2 buyers reported their manufacturing dates too.

muhle

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2014
It's been there for a long time. If I remember correctly, some SE2 buyers reported their manufacturing dates too.
Let me see if i understand correctly. The "last charge" section under battery has been there for a while. But should there already be a pre-loaded date and percentage if your phone is brand new and never been charged at all?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Let me see if i understand correctly. The "last charge" section under battery has been there for a while. But should there already be a pre-loaded date and percentage if your phone is brand new and never been charged at all?

Yes, there should be a last charged date that precedes the iPhone end user activation date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.