Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fendrix69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
I was noticing a slight unevenness in tint and brightness on my new Iphone XS. It was distracting and I decided to do a little research and see if If it was just mine.

Eventually I found an old thread on this forum and decided to test my display with the 5% black image and I’m freaking out with the results.

what do you guys think? I have already returned another iphone that had a huge gap around the frame where I could insert a two sheets of paper.

this ridiculous degree of unevenness only show with this image though not with 100% black,the clock app, Spotify or any other grey background.

I have been purchasing apple products for more than 23 years and IMO the quality control is so random these days that I hate the idea of playing the panel lottery but if everyone’s iPhone XS is better than mine I guess my chances of getting a better build are really high.

please let me know what you think, thanks

Attachments

• 0B22DDD5-24CA-45F6-A7C9-2B219F66FDFE.jpeg
    0B22DDD5-24CA-45F6-A7C9-2B219F66FDFE.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 519
  • 5DF6D279-C082-4534-8A43-66652BF289ED.jpeg
    5DF6D279-C082-4534-8A43-66652BF289ED.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 420
  • D55AC21F-C66E-4EE1-BA7F-B3BE7A7FFC94.jpeg
    D55AC21F-C66E-4EE1-BA7F-B3BE7A7FFC94.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 9DB0DDFB-E1FA-4A8F-92F8-0E8B99340FD6.jpeg
    9DB0DDFB-E1FA-4A8F-92F8-0E8B99340FD6.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 374

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
I was noticing a slight unevenness in tint and brightness on my new Iphone XS. It was distracting and I decided to do a little research and see if If it was just mine.

Eventually I found an old thread on this forum and decided to test my display with the 5% black image and I’m freaking out with the results.

what do you guys think? I have already returned another iphone that had a huge gap around the frame where I could insert a two sheets of paper.

this ridiculous degree of unevenness only show with this image though not with 100% black,the clock app, Spotify or any other grey background.

I have been purchasing apple products for more than 23 years and IMO the quality control is so random these days that I hate the idea of playing the panel lottery but if everyone’s iPhone XS is better than mine I guess my chances of getting a better build are really high.

Looks fine to me I’ve seen much worse

Reactions: Fendrix69

Fendrix69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
thanks a lot, only minor imperfections are noticeable during normal use and I have the feeling it’s somehow improved a bit specially tint shift. It’s mainly that 5% black image that looks worse than anyone who has posted here.

I guess I will just keep it. Thanks again ?‍♂️

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
These kind of things usually not worth the hassle. I had my story with a similar issue and it was painful to say the least. You can look it up it’s under the threads I created…. not a happy place.

Fendrix69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Update:

now if I record or try to take a pictures of the iPhone XS display with my camera (iphone8) I’m getting banding / flickering I wasn’t getting before.. very weird

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple is still trying to figure out how to implement OLED screens in iPhones and the Xs is only the second generation. Hopefully over time (2022?) they'll have gotten their game together enough to provide a screen comparable to android phones.

Off axis tint shift happens to all OLED screens, even Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixels.

You can't really decide anything about banding & flickering by taking a video of an OLED screen. The camera taking the video is capturing a frame every 1/30th of a second and can easily sync to the refresh rate of the other phone making it look all screwed up. Like a strobe light shining on a spinning wheel.

Reactions: Fendrix69

Fendrix69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
What
Apple is still trying to figure out how to implement OLED screens in iPhones and the Xs is only the second generation. Hopefully over time (2022?) they'll have gotten their game together enough to provide a screen comparable to android phones.

Off axis tint shift happens to all OLED screens, even Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixels.

You can't really decide anything about banding & flickering by taking a video of an OLED screen. The camera taking the video is capturing a frame every 1/30th of a second and can easily sync to the refresh rate of the other phone making it look all screwed up. Like a strobe light shining on a spinning wheel.
thanks yea I think you are right, but it is strange that it did not show yesterday under the same lighting conditions.

what concerns me the most is the unevenness in the black levels at 5% black. IMO It looks so much worse than anyone else who has posted here in other threads. This has a subtle and barely noticeable impact on normal use but it is definitely present.

When using The iPhone it feels like there is something wrong that you cannot put the finger on.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

For me it is a perfectly working iPhone.
But I’m sure you are going to return the phone anyway.

ps: after seeing the video I don’t know if it is working or not. Never seen something like that.

[automerge]1576445311[/automerge]

A screen comparable to Android phones ? Lol... iPhone display is the best on the market, and only Note 10 and Pixel 4 are on the same level.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.