Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stijndg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Hey guys,

having this problem with my new headless server, is bought the mac mini last week and installed it while hooked on to the tv via HDMI, activated the built in remote desktop feature and disconnected all the cables.

Moved the mini to its final destination and plugged only the power and network cable back in.

I then tried to access it by vnc wich works perfectly but when i move my mouse around i get artifacts all over the place...

Have no idea what is causing this but when a screen is attached to it the problem seems to go away...

I embedded an attachment with a screenshot of the problem. Anyone knows how i solve this problem?

Attachments

• vncprobleem.jpg
    vncprobleem.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:

Darby67

macrumors 6502
That's been a normal limitation for several years. Many use a monitor adaptor to fool the mini into thinking a screen is attached. It's never bothered me that much, i just open a window and drag it around real quick to all points for a couple of seconds and the screen refreshes.

stijndg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
That's been a normal limitation for several years. Many use a monitor adaptor to fool the mini into thinking a screen is attached. It's never bothered me that much, i just open a window and drag it around real quick to all points for a couple of seconds and the screen refreshes.

Lol after screwing around all afternoon that was my fix to, found an old mini display port to vga adapter somewhere in the basement and hooked up my pc monitor with another basement treasure (10m vga cable), rebooted the mini and now its working pretty smoothly, no more artifacts!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.