Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbmufc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2024
Hi. This a brand new adapter from Apple store, there's a green light leakage from the cable at the magsafe 2 head, is this normal or it's faulty?

It's from UAE apple store and a friend got me the adapter sealed to Egypt so I can't go to apple store right away and replace it unless the friend take it again to UAE.

Sorry for being paranoid, I had terrible stories with repair shops in Egypt which ruined and burnt my previous adapter.

P.S. why not buying from Egypt? No apple stores and it costs 3x its price. Thank you

Edited: added more pics for the member who questioned if it's brand new instead of actually helping me! It was a residue from the plastic wrap, no scratches.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Charger.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8710.jpg
    IMG_8710.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8707.jpg
    IMG_8707.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8708.jpg
    IMG_8708.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8709.jpg
    IMG_8709.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

mbmufc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2024
Is that a scratch along the edge of your "brand new" magsafe?
It's not a scratch! Maybe a residue from the plastic wrap or something it's just out of the box.
Would you like a reciept with the actual date too?
I'd really appreciated if someone could help by answering a simple question instead!

I updated different photos now and I hope you realize that in some of them the flash from the camera will decrease the intensity of the light leak!

Attachments

• IMG_8709.jpg
    IMG_8709.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8710.jpg
    IMG_8710.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8708.jpg
    IMG_8708.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8707.jpg
    IMG_8707.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It's not really a fault, just not assembled properly.
It's not likely to affect anything.
I suggest that you could return it, but I also understand from your situation that you would find that inconvenient.
If you choose to keep the magsafe cable, you could fix that leak yourself with some kind of sealant, like silicone sealant. You would want to find something that would block the light, some sealants might dry translucent.
I don't think I would suggest spending more money just to block the light. Maybe you already have something that might work.

mbmufc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2024
It's not really a fault, just not assembled properly.
It's not likely to affect anything.
I suggest that you could return it, but I also understand from your situation that you would find that inconvenient.
If you choose to keep the magsafe cable, you could fix that leak yourself with some kind of sealant, like silicone sealant. You would want to find something that would block the light, some sealants might dry translucent.
I don't think I would suggest spending more money just to block the light. Maybe you already have something that might work.
Thank you for your help and suggestions, Yes I agree but the problem is that I live in Egypt otherwise I would have replaced it, even the authorized apple service centers in Egypt don't do anything, I had a 2011 MBP with the faulty GPU and was eligible for the repair program by apple, they refused here, I had to ship it to UAE and they fixed it in their authorized centers (They also didn't have official apple stores in that time too)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.