Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ninjaman

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
So I just got the mini 6. Set it all up and damn why are the icons so tiny? It makes it difficult to see them unlike the phone or bigger ipads. Is there a way to change this?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So I just got the mini 6. Set it all up and damn why are the icons so tiny? It makes it difficult to see them unlike the phone or bigger ipads. Is there a way to change this?
One of my biggest complaints with iOS 15. Why such a waste of home screen space? It’s small even on the iPad Pro 11.
Hah thanks! I was wondering about this and learned something new. Nice!

Ninjaman

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
Thanks. Not a huge improvement and the widgets seem useless being so small.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Mini is "mini" for a reason, and as you use it you'll see other parts of iPadOS 15 is not optimized for it (just wait until you try to split screens or some other functions). I ended up returning mine for the multiple "quirks" of the Mini 6, but I do think it could be a good device for some use cases--just wasn't smooth at "enough" things for me to be worth the price premium.

I do hope it works out. The smushed icons ended up being just one of many things that, together, made me less likely to reach for it, which is a shame because I love the form factor.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
This is an iOS 15 issue, not an iPad Mini issue. The switch to a layout more accommodating of widgets means the screen is all messed up for those not using widgets. There is currently no option to revert icon layout to the “classic” iPad look.

Hoping it’s something Apple backtracks on, or at least re-opens greater options for customizability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.