Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macbookboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Hello everyone! I had a quick question that I thought some of you all may be able to help with. I recently purchased this iPhone 4S that was produced... in Brazil? Yeah! It was odd at first since I had only seen the "Assembled in China" wording on the back of iPhones so I knew at that point that I had to buy this. Turns out these are pretty rare, but oddly not sought after. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any information about this phone, as Google's results are quite scarce. From what I can put together, Apple contracted Foxconn to make iPhones at their Brazilian factory. The phones had some issues (which may have been why they were discontinued) and Foxconn itself had some issues, so pretty soon after production began it was stopped and the apple site began selling chinese-made iPhones instead of brazilian made ones. This lead to not many of these getting into the hands of customers, and if I had to guess I'd have to say less than maybe a couple thousand made it out. This is only speculation, though, as information on these phones is almost nonexistent. If anyone could help, that'd be great! It also came with the original box, Finger Tips manual, Information booklet, an info card written in Portuguese, the original apple stickers (UNUSED!), an Anatel certification sheet, the original brazilian power adapter, and the original power cord. pictures down below. Thanks again!
unnamed.jpg
IMG-0468.JPG
IMG-0470.jpeg
IMG-0469.jpeg

Reactions: klasma

Macbookboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Interesting thread, never knew a small batch of iPhones 4S were produced in Brazil. Looks pretty legit too.
I didn't either! Here's a list I found of the models which were produced there:
  • iPhone 4S preto de 16GB: MD234BR
  • iPhone 4S branco de 16GB: MD237BR
  • iPhone 4S preto de 32GB: MD241BR
  • iPhone 4S branco de 32GB: MD244BR
  • iPhone 4S preto de 64GB: MD257BR
  • iPhone 4S branco de 64GB: MD260BR

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
Are there actually any other smartphone manufacturers who assemble or assembled their phones in Brazil?

Macbookboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Not sure, but as far as I can tell it wasn't just apple products manufactured at that plant; It was products other Foxconn clients as well.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
So they still produce older iPhones in Brazil?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
How rare is the real question. I’m debating keeping it or selling it, but I hope to find out more on its value and history before listing it.
I’d keep it if I were you. Don’t use it keep it clean and pristine. I bet in 20yrs the value will go up.

Knightimer

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
Wow! Interesting! I didn't know Brazil assembled iPhones. Like many others, I thought iPhones were only coming in from China. I would keep it. It's going to be a rare collector's item. Not that it is not one now. So, it might appreciate in value.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
It certainly may be quite scarce yet condition plays such a deciding factor among collectors and sadly yours doesn't appear to be mint.

Macbookboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Thanks all for the replies! I do believe that I will keep it, as I talked with Hap Plain (The famous prototype collector) and he ballparked it's value at 150 to 250, and understandably I'd want a bit more out of it. I agree that it isn't mint but I don't plan on replacing the display in order to keep it completely original. And no, to answer 1rottenapple's question, they don't still produce 4s there BUT they did produce a few (and I mean like the no-info-online-and-only-an-eBay-listing kind of rare) iPhone 6s there and produced a lot of 8s there. Thanks again everyone!

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Apple makes some of these in BR for tax/governmental regulations/reasons. It's definitely 'real'. :) I believe a friend of mine in Brasil has one, haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.