Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Hello, i recently tried to remove the anti glare coating on my 15" MacBook pro mid 2015 on the 10th of this month. I managed to remove all the anti glare coating but when i powered it on afterwards i noticed blotches on my screen. It seems as if the alcohol somehow managed to get in my screen. Please have a look at the pictures. Is there any chance the light spots will completely clear up? or is there anyway that i can remove it? i really don't have the money to replace the screen right now

Thanks
PXL_20210912_102800729.jpg
PXL_20210919_121417804.jpg

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Looks like bright spots caused by pressure on the screen, possibly while rubbing the coating off? I had a desktop monitor that was knocked by a heavy object, and it resulted in a patch of permanently bright pixels right where the object had made contact.

Reactions: Jay1989

Jay1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Looks like bright spots caused by pressure on the screen, possibly while rubbing the coating off? I had a desktop monitor that was knocked by a heavy object, and it resulted in a patch of permanently bright pixels right where the object had made contact.
It might well have been the pressure i applied. I am fairly heavy handed and i was aggressively trying to remove the coating. I didn't even think the amount of pressure could have caused it. Some of the bright spots disappeared days after the problem occurred. Thanks for your reply

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Your choices:

- Live with it.
or
- Get the display replaced.

There's no way that you can "fix" this, other than by replacement.

Jay1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Your choices:

- Live with it.
or
- Get the display replaced.

There's no way that you can "fix" this, other than by replacement.
Thanks for your reply. I don't think i can live with it like that, i guess i just have to replace the screen.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It might well have been the pressure i applied. I am fairly heavy handed and i was aggressively trying to remove the coating. I didn't even think the amount of pressure could have caused it. Some of the bright spots disappeared days after the problem occurred. Thanks for your reply
Yea, you have to be really gentle when rubbing the coating off. While it's too late now. I will say it comes off with baking soda and water using gentle rubbing. It just takes an hour or two or polishing, cleaning to check if complete and polishing more.

Jay1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Yea, you have to be really gentle when rubbing the coating off. While it's too late now. I will say it comes off with baking soda and water using gentle rubbing. It just takes an hour or two or polishing, cleaning to check if complete and polishing more.
Thanks for the advice. If my new screen requires delaminating, i will try your method whilst being very gentle. Thank you.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thanks for the advice. If my new screen requires delaminating, i will try your method whilst being very gentle. Thank you.

You can find the mixture online. Just have a towel ready as it doesn't really make a paste. More of a slurry and they will separate while rubbing. I think I made it a little dryer than recommended. I also put the screen on a towel to prevent scratching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.