Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIZIBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2023
Hello,

First of all, sorry for my English...

I am looking for help about my problem and after many searches on internet I haven't found a solution.

Since 2 month I have a Mac mini M2 Pro that is connected to a LG Ultrafine 23.7" 4K. My keyboard is a Logi MX Keys for Mac. Everything was working perfectly until three weeks. Indeed, for 3 weeks now and for no reason the F1 and F2 keys on my keyboard that control the screen brightness no longer work.

I can still control the brightness from the control center or the settings.

With the app Logi Options+ I can set up the F1 and F2 keys to other actions (adjust the volume for example, or launch Mission Control) and it works. So the keys aren't defective. Moreover, if I connect my keyboard to my iPad, the F1 and F2 keys can control the brightness of my iPad.

I reset my keyboard, reinstalled the Logi Options+ app, restarted my Mac, my LG... Nothing happens.

I tried with another keyboard, and the brightness keys don't work either.

Very strange thing, if I hold the Control+F1 or Control+F2 keys, it works! I can control the brightness of my LG! I don't understand what's going on. According to my research, the Control+F1/F2 combination allows to control a secondary monitor (for example, a monitor connected to a MacBook). But for my part, I use a Mac mini, and I don't have a secondary monitor...

Would anyone have a solution to this problem? It's frustrating, I don't understand what's going on...

Thank you very much!

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
I have the same issue. Have the MXKeys for Mac keyboard and have adjusted the brightness of my LG UltraFine display through the keyboard keys for a couple of years. Suddenly this has stopped working. All the other "function keys" such as the volume keys are working fine.

Ventura 13.3.1 and Logi Options+ 1.40.402749, keyboard connected over Bluetooth.

BIZIBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2023
I have the same issue. Have the MXKeys for Mac keyboard and have adjusted the brightness of my LG UltraFine display through the keyboard keys for a couple of years. Suddenly this has stopped working. All the other "function keys" such as the volume keys are working fine.

Ventura 13.3.1 and Logi Options+ 1.40.402749, keyboard connected over Bluetooth.
Thank you for your answer ! Since when have you had the problem? Like me, for about 1 or 2 months? Did you have the opportunity to test with an Apple keyboard instead of the Logi?

simplyphy

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2023
Thank you for your answer ! Since when have you had the problem? Like me, for about 1 or 2 months? Did you have the opportunity to test with an Apple keyboard instead of the Logi?
I just noticed the issue for the first time; previously have never had an issue adjusting LG monitor brightness via keyboard. I tested with both Magic Keyboard and Keychron. Same issue. Studio Display brightness working as expected (2 monitor setup).

My best guess is the issue is related to either Sonoma or the Studio Display firmware update that came from after Sonoma, but since I'm seeing this being reported prior to Sonoma, there's a good change I'm wrong.

All settings related to brightness control on the LG Ultrafine are disabled.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just a data point here, M1 mini with LG 27" 5k UltraFine and Apple Touch ID Magic Keyboard - F1/F2 working fine.

You said you tried with "Another keyboard" - was that another Logi MX, or an Apple keyboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.