Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedsk899

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Has anyone else noticed when using FaceTime and there is a light in the background it dims and gets dark?

I noticed because a friend of mine will blow glass and have me watch everyonce and a while. Before iOS 5 I could see everything fine. Now when the flame is turned on it does an auto dim and it's hard to see. I looked for a setting to adjust the auto dim feature but found nothing.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Are you saying the screen (backlight) actually gets dimmer, or the picture just gets darker due to a change in exposure time?

speedsk899

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Are you saying the screen (backlight) actually gets dimmer, or the picture just gets darker due to a change in exposure time?

The picture gets darker. If the camera on the video end has a light in the back ground the picture being displayed on the other end will be darker.

KRDHarris

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
Yes; I too have problems with FaceTime auto brightness control

I am not sure at what release of iOS this started, but I now experience two problem with brightness/exposure control of the image from my iPad's camera that is sent to the other end of the video call.

(1) The whole image is often far too dark. moving around, adjusting the back light, etc., slightly improves the brightness, but often only temporarily.

(2) The image brightness often fluctuates quite widely and rapidly.

The FaceTime image used to be noticeably better than that of Skype; with this FaceTime exposure problem, the opposite is now true.

Does anyone know if Apple made a change in FaceTime auto-exposure control in iOS 5 or iOS 6, even if they have not admitted that this problem exists?

Has anyone found a workaround, other than using Skype?

I am using an iPad 2 running iOS 6.1.

Thanks

Adam Elmquist

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Northern NJ
Same Issue iPad Mini First Gen iOS 7.1.1

I'm getting my Video looks dull and dark in pretty well lighted room. My image that others see goes from Bleached to dull depending on the way I'm holding the iPad. Other Camera Apps no issue like Camera my image looks okay, in Photo Booth for iOS my image is fine, Google Hangouts and Skype my camera image is good.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.