Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
For those too young to remember, Apple once made a webcam called iSight.

isight-05-100635432-large.jpg

Samsung's new M8 monitors have a magnetically attachable webcam.
Samsung-M8-Smart-Monitor-2.jpg

Dell at CES 2022 announced a magnetic wireless camera that can be detached and placed anywhere. It has an internal battery and the dock on top of the monitor recharges it.

Benefits for Apple bringing back the iSight

1. Because monitors are often too thin to have the correct hardware to have a good lens, that's why the new Studio Displays webcams suck.
2. Apple has an opportunity here to make an incredible camera that pushes the limit and could fund and inform their iPhone camera development.
3. Having a modular camera would be another accessory to increase sales.

I don't mind a little thick boy on top of my monitor if it means I get great quality. The old iSight was very long, Apple could definitely make a shorter one.

If they made it really modular with the ability to place it anywhere in the room that would be great too.

AR & Apple Glasses
I think a modular detachable camera like this could have great applications for AR and the Apple Glasses. If anyone has some cool use cases let me know.

Reactions: mectojic

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
This is basically the same thing as what you're looking for:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I still have my iSight neatly sitting in its plastic container in a cupboard (have never thrown anything Apple away)......?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.