Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topgazza

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Basingstoke, UK
Hi

I used to run an app that gave a real time graphical screen showing my internet speed. I used to leave it running and it would show my actual speed and its dips and peaks in a continuous line across the screen

Does anyone know of any app that can do the same thing please. I have Wireshark but I think that only analyses packets

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I used to run an app that gave a real time graphical screen showing my internet speed.
Need to be careful here as "internet speed" is not a straight forward concept; there are many factors which contribute to the "experience" one might call "internet speed".

Software you might be thinking of could be PingPlotter. It can help you monitor and troubleshoot network problems with your service. However, in my experience, most ISP scoff at PingPlotter data.

If your concept of "internet speed" equates to bandwidth, the only way to test bandwidth is with data uploads and downloads. Ookla Speedtest is popular app (there are many like it) for testing your ISP bandwidth "speeds". You certainly don't want to be constantly running a speed test, you'll likely use up your data limits on your ISP account (unless you have unlimited data).

topgazza

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Basingstoke, UK
Good stuff, thanks

I used it to prove to an ISP that their service was up and down as were the ping times and noise. Fortunately I only ran it for an hour at a time and it demonstrated that it was a crap service. They accepted the graphs I sent and they refunded me 3 months. Which was nice
Running ping for long periods is not great of course.
My issue is to see if my broadband speed is dipping now. But the suspected issues are very intermittent. I suspect not but it would be nice to see. Before I start changing switches and cables. I am on FTTP and 900Mbs so I really dont suspect or doubt the service to be fair. It would just be nice to see

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.