Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gaogier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Hello...

My iphone black plastic case has cracked (only by the 30pin connecter)...

My question, as it is still usable... and such, could i buy this... and still be covered under apple/o2 warranty or do i need to contact apple/o2 about this?

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
i am pretty sure that if you buy one of those off eBay and try and replace it yourself, thats your warranty void and therefore Apple or 02 wont want to know.

Did you buy the phone less than a year ago? if so then it is still under apple warranty and they might be able to repair it for you.

Gaogier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Yes... I got it about 2 weeks after it came out...

I use my phone more than anyone else... about 15hours per day, would be lost without it...

couldn't i buy the case, and get apple/o2 to replace it?

again, would this be best to contact apple? or o2?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Don't replace it yourself. I tried that a few days ago and wrecked a perfectly functional iPhone 3G (earpiece speaker and proximity sensors no longer work). It was a total PITA because of the dozens of small screws and tiny parts. To replace the back, you need to remove everything, the screen, main board, battery, volume switch, power switch, vibrate/loud switch, camera, microphone port, vibrate motor, antenna, etc. It is NOT worth it.

Gaogier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
but, if i bring apple/o2 a white or a blue case, couldnt they replace it?

It is difficult to charge up my phone, as thats where the plastic has broken... it needs replacing either way... which is why i am looking for a new case...

If not, dose anyone know a case that could just clip on to my iphone? something like this?

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
if they replace it, they will want to use their own, official apple, parts. trust me, this will be better quality than anything you buy on eBay.

Gaogier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
could i ask for a blue one? if not, ill wait till ill upgrade to the iphone 3Gs which is in a few months...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.