Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thijsjacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
My parents, aged 52 and 55, switched last summer 2005 to a iMac G5 ALS (20-inch), which I recommended to them. To me, Mac has always been a hassle free and care free platform, which is easy to use. So, it should have been a great choice for my parents.

They use the iMac for e-mail, internet, address book synching and VoIP.

A little over a month ago the hard disk crashed completely and since we have an Apple Protection Plan (APP) we called Apple's help desk, after which we were redirected to a local Apple Service Center. They told us to take the computer to them; which I found odd, since the APP states that the service is on location, when within proper range. Also, having to drag around a 20-inch iMac did not seem very nice to me.

Naturally my dad asked if any data could be recovered, on which the service center replied, that that was possible for an amount of about 2000 euro. Which of course we did not want. (trick to make money? you tell me!)

After a week, we got the computer back and when booting up, it started the OS installation process. Which again was odd to me, since according to the APP there should be minimum effort to restore the user's applications.

The iMac came new with iLife installed, but when getting it back from the repair, not even iLife was on it. Not to mention other applications. Using Apple Remote Desktop I installed all programs back to the computer (I'm in China for 1 year), which took me a couple of days.

Today, the computer crashed again!!! Yes, again! It won't start up anymore. According to the diagnosis, completed with help of the Apple Help Desk, the file structure of the hard disk is damaged. The exact same thing happened the last time before the hard disk crashed entirely.

Could someone explain this to me? A brand new Hard Disk; no strange programs. People only surfing and e-mailing?

I think it would be nice of Apple to show some sympathy and just replace this machine from hell with a new iMac. And also explain to us, why we purchased an APP, but their Service Centers don't even care.

In total this has cost me 7 working days, my parents at least 9 working days and driving back and forward to the Apple Service Center. Loss of data and a heap of frustration.

I have been using a iBook G3 for ages now and never had any problem. Recently I replaced my hard disk, for more storage space and speed, since I have been using it now more than ever.

We're located in Heerlen, the Netherlands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.